Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What's new in the latest Windows 10 TP build released today

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...ownload-it-now
    Build 9879.

In addition, I got a newer version of IE 11 with a new smiley icon that can be clicked to report sites that don't load properly. The smiley icon sits next to the right of the gear icon at the top right of the window.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

Updated my Virtual Box copy w/o problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    1-Clk & done on my Hyper-V VM. Now that's how to get a New Build. Sorry, but, compared to the past, I'm ok w/ 1-Clk to a New Build. That kind of slick & quick & easy is fine by me.

1 new thing, one can hide Search & or Task view icons @ the Taskbar.

One can Drag-n-Drop items to HOME Section OR Pin, I should say. <----- that's new.

I think Snap is FIXED.

New is the speed . Where the hell did this thing come from... Holy blazes, batman, this is bizarre!

Getting worn out trying to keep up w/ it (pant, pant, pant). Mighty Mouse, will save the day. Oh, no, that's something completely different... different mouse, all together.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Where is this 1 click - I can't find it? Indeed, I can't see how to get the new build.

So far it's been running like a dog. Just increased my RAM to 3.5Gb (my PC RAM is 6Gb - i just moved the slider to the end of the green section - I'm using Oracle VM) and suddenly my CPU is no longer running at 95+%, so it might be a bit quicker now.

Thanks
    This link:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...sider-program/

. . . . . might be of interest to you.
    The 'Getting Started' section deals with how you can get the new build and scrolling down shows some of the newer features added.

Thanks
    It's actually several clicks to get to Drew's 1 click:
    Windows Key +C to open the Charms Bar
    Click on Settings
    Click on Change PC Settings
    Click on Update and Recovery
    Click on Preview Builds
    Click on Download Now (Drew's 1 click)
    After the download completes (You can do other work while waiting, it can take awhile)
    Click on Install Now (Install took almost an hour for me with three reboots)

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, that did the trick, though I had to set the slow/fast to fast to get anything. Downloading now.

-Moonshine-, thanks for that link. I now know where the charms bar has gone (never had a problem with it on 8.1). I wondered if the preview builds were on it, but as I didn't know how to make it appear I was stumped. I think I need to test this beast a bit more, but I'mhoping it will be quicker though - it hasn't been conducive with CPU getting to 100% quite often (well a lot). Why does task manager use 5% of CPU for example,

Banned Member
    Thanks
    > PC Settings > Update & Recovery > Preview Builds > Install

1 Clk of the Install button.

Took, maybe, 45 mins to 1 hour & 1 reboot. No 'issues', @ all.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-13 at 14:58.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Pin to Home Pinned to Taskbar, ppl may find worthwhile. Easy to throw what you want @ it. Then, access those 'choice' items right from the Taskbar. Narrower than, This PC, more than Name folder & not limited to Desktop (icons)... it's whatever you assigned. Lessens need for Start, 1st.

Can be quite the kewl 'hub'.

Oh yeah & IE has a Smiley Face Like this ------>

No more Action Ctr, per se.

And

Almost forgot... the 3 Dots menu is, now, a "hamburger button" menu.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-14 at 06:07.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'll add....

Another (nice) "What's New" is the 2 isses I was seeing, in the previous Build, that behavior does not exist in Build 9879.

1. An all too frequent (once is too frequent) need to start Windows Audio. Build 9879, solid & stable as a rock.

2. Occasionally, contectivity lost and would restore w/ a reboot. Build 9879, solid & stable as a rock.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-14 at 05:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I'll add....

Another (nice) "What's New" is the 2 isses I was seeing, in the previous Build, that behavior does not exist in Build 9879.

1. An all too frequent (once is too frequent) need to start Windows Audio. Build 9879, solid & stable as a rock.

2. Occasionally, contectivity lost and would restore w/ a reboot. Build 9879, solid & stable as a rock.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    In this 9879 build so far have had only two issues:

a. AVG2015 wanted to restart some time after I launched the upgrade from 9860 to 9879, and AVG2015 was inoperative after the upgrade until I performed a repair via "Programs and Features".

b. Ran "Disk Cleanup" w/ some problems. "Disk Cleanup" does not appear as a shortcut in "System Tools" as in previous Windows, but ran it from the "Search" box. Very slow, and did not completly remove the "Windows.old" folder from previous 9860 build. No big deal, and am not going to force this issue, since I suspect this is a minor detail that will be dealt with in later releases.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    In this 9879 build so far have had only two issues:

a. AVG2015 wanted to restart some time after I launched the upgrade from 9860 to 9879, and AVG2015 was inoperative after the upgrade until I performed a repair via "Programs and Features".

b. Ran "Disk Cleanup" w/ some problems. "Disk Cleanup" does not appear as a shortcut in "System Tools" as in previous Windows, but ran it from the "Search" box. Very slow, and did not completly remove the "Windows.old" folder from previous 9860 build. No big deal, and am not going to force this issue, since I suspect this is a minor detail that will be dealt with in later releases.
    Coochin, I found this build uninstalled my Avira Free AV. Tried to reinstall it but it didn't work. Looks like we'll have to rely of Defender for awhile- not my first choice.
    I also ran disk cleanup with the same goal and the same results.

Note that the feedback app is broken as well. Microsoft is aware of it and is working on it. I guess this is the result of using the fast track for build updates....

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    FWIW, I just used WF before coming here & it was fine.

I had let CCleaner take out Windows.old.

For Disc Cleanup my preference is sage. Runs auto daily as a Scheduled Task on 8.1 Will do same w/ Win10 once past betas.

Happy to see the 2 issues/behavior I had in 9860 are gone in 9879... nice & stable, now.

Glad to be rid of the unneeded, redundant, Search icon from the Taskbar.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    After installing 9879 yesterday I rebooted into both the other Win7 partitions on my SSD without any problems; everything seemed to be OK.

Last night I spent a couple of hours in Win10TP checking out various things; again, everything seemed to be OK.

This morning when I turned the computer on and tried to boot to Win7 64bit it stayed on the "Starting Windows" screen for about three minutes then chkdsk ran and found and repaired a fairly minor FS error. When chkdsk finished the computer restarted, again stayed on the "Starting Windows" screen, this time for about five minutes, before finally getting to the Desktop. I have since restarted Win7 64bit three times (without starting either Win7 32bit or Win10TP) with the same behaviour.

Before installing build 9879 Win7 64bit was booting to the Desktop in about 30 seconds; now it is taking about five minutes. Have checked the event logs and there are no errors or other clues there.

Edit 12:23PM 2014-11-16 Now cannot access the 2TB Seagate HDD. Disk Management lists the drive as "unknown" and wants to initialise it. So Win10TP build 9879 has seriously misbehaved on my computer; am going to sentence Win10TP to solitary confinement.

Edit 3:15PM 2014-11-16 As I don't want to risk losing data from the 2TB HDD I am backing up the files from the drive to a USB HDD using another computer. This will probably take several hours. After the files have copied I will initialise the disk (might have to re-partition it and copy the files back).

Edit 2:15AM 2014-11-17 After trying various methods to access the 2TB HDD using two other computers without success I put the HDD back in this computer, booted from a BartPE CD, and was able to copy all files from the HDD to a USB HDD. Since then the HDD is accessible from Win7 w/o any complaint re Windows wanting to initialise it, so it is confirmed that the glitch was caused by Win10TP build 9879. I am not interested in having this happen again, so will move Win10TP to a spare HDD for future evaluation. Also, since copying the files the boot time for Win7 64bit is back to normal, i.e.: about 30 seconds.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-11-16 at 11:30. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One question I have about Win 10 as a Win 7 immigrant this March: I love the "live thumbnail popups" method of moving between windows and tabs that Aero Peek enables.

Does Win 10 include Aero's popup thumbnail navigation? I read recently that Win 8 did, so I'm hoping that it will continue to be available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast