New Lounger
    Thanks

Complex page numbering with chapters, sections and appendixes in Word

I've been reading a lot of articles on this forum and different websites on Word numbering but I could not find an answer to numbering multiple levels of chapters/annexes/appendixes.

What I am required to accomplish is the following: A document divided into Chapters, Sections, Annexes and Appendixes.

I am using built-in headings:
    • H1 Chapter
    • H2 Section
    • H3 Annex
    • H4 Appendix

What I am unable to do is create a TOC that contains the page number for the Annex (should be 2A-1) and the Appendix (should be 2A1-1) with the appropriate page numbers. I am pretty close but I am missing something.

Code:
    Chapter 1 This is a chapter
    	Section 1 This is a section					1-1
    	Section 2 This is a section					1-3

Chapter 2 This is a chapter
    	Section 1 This is a section					2-1
    	Section 2 This is a section					2-1
    	Section 3 This is a section					2-2
    	Section 4 This is a section					2-3
    	Section 5 This is a section					2-4

Annex A This is an Annex to Chapter 2				A-1	(should be 2A-1)
    		Appendix 1 This is an Appendix to Annex A of Chapter 2	1-1	(should be 2A1-1)

Annex B This is another Annex to Chapter 2			B-1	(should be 2B-1)

Chapter 3 This is a chapter
    	Section 1 This is a section					3-1
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Template to work with numbering.docx

Cheers,

V!ncent

Thanks
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion.

If you look the specifics of what is required from me, there is:
    - A TOC containing chapter-annex-appendix numbering (2A1-1)
    - An appendix name without chapter-annex in its title.

I already went through the suggested readings. Couldn't find a way to do it. This forum seems to be the place to seek some advice.

Thanks
    Since I have not done what you need done, those articles know more than I do.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you have the numbering scheme you like already set up in the H1 through H4 styles, all you need to do is format the page number to include the correct heading list values. For 2A1 that would be Chapter starts with Style: select Heading 3. I did not realize this until I tinkered around with your problem. Slow morning at work for me...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael L View Post
    Since you have the numbering scheme you like already set up in the H1 through H4 styles, all you need to do is format the page number to include the correct heading list values. For 2A1 that would be Chapter starts with Style: select Heading 3. I did not realize this until I tinkered around with your problem. Slow morning at work for me...
    I don't think that will get the OP what he wants, because the heading formatting for the Appendix doesn't contain the Chapter number.

It appears to me as the only way you could get word to automatically generate the "2A-1" page number you're looking for would be to add the number from heading 1 into the number for heading 3. Unfortunately, that would title your appendix "Appendix 2A", which also doesn;t jive with what you want.

The only way I have ever achieved what you're looking for is to manually type in the extra letters into the header and then again manually adding them to the TOC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RoobyDooby View Post
    I don't think that will get the OP what he wants, because the heading formatting for the Appendix doesn't contain the Chapter number.

It appears to me as the only way you could get word to automatically generate the "2A-1" page number you're looking for would be to add the number from heading 1 into the number for heading 3. Unfortunately, that would title your appendix "Appendix 2A", which also doesn;t jive with what you want.

The only way I have ever achieved what you're looking for is to manually type in the extra letters into the header and then again manually adding them to the TOC.
    Pride cometh before the fall. I have browsed the forum for years, but never felt I could solve something until now. Having parts of the numbering scheme "invisible" really does throw a monkey wrench into things. It is not possible to deselect a heading level [1] in the sequence 1[1]A-1, the flaw in my approach. I manually input the extra letters too.