Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

20 Windows updates installed without my permission!

I've always set my Windows Update policy to Download but Let Me Choose whether to install. Seeing that this month's update was going to be a biggie I double-checked that I'd got it set like that because only a few weeks before I'd had to reinstall a friends laptop after a bad update experience (believe me, I tried everything - please don't start a side-discussion on what else I might have tried).

And down came 20 updates yesterday. I opened Windows Update to check them out but closed it again without clicking anything, intending to wait until Windows Secrets gave the all-clear.

But on shutting the system down last night, it said please don't power-off - installing 20 updates. HEY, I DIDN'T ASK FOR THAT!

With some trepidation I booted up this morning and was relieved when it apparently came up cleanly.

So what's this - a new policy? Or do I blame the cat for pouncing on the mouse when I had my back turned?

Regards - Philip

Thanks
    Do you have MSE by any chance? If you've switched Microsoft Update or Windows Update to "Notify but don't download" or "Download but don't install," running the MSE installer switches Windows over to Automatic Updates without any notification and without asking for permission.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-11-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I said, I checked recently and have checked again today that the policy is as I intended. I use Avast, not MSE.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a loophole sometimes in that WU can update itself automatically; so, it checks, finds an update for itself and installs it, that in turn allows it to switch to automatic updates for everything and you get them all...should find it switched to full automatic in settings though.
    Make sure nothing underneath is checked either, like allow all users to install updates or allow other Microsoft updates such as for Office.
    Also, a better setting is to check for updates but do not download or install without further approval.

Easy way to remove unwanted updates [from the registry] AFTER they've been installed is just rollback with a system restore.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, as I said, I've checked the setting is as I intended. If no one else has seen this behaviour it looks like I'll just have to blame the cat. Always a good strategy.

Thanks
    I'm assuming (never changed WU settings) that the setting only applies to Important Updates. Four of the updates provided yesterday were Critical.

November Security Bulletin - https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-nov

I've also just noticed this on the settings page:

WU Settings.JPG

Could it suggest that it may have changed the settings after you checked?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why is it that the numbers identifying the Windows Updates (7x64) never match those quoted by Susan Bradley in her update column?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Update can only run if the service is running. On my Windows 7 system, the service is called "Windows Update" and has the service name "wuauserv". To put Windows Update completely under your control, you an set up a batch file containing the following lines:

sc config wuauserv start= auto (enables the service)
    net start wuauserv (starts it running)
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapp.exe startmenu (fires up the application, where you can "Check for updates" and select those you want to install))
    pause (to not allow the next commands until finished)
    net stop wuauserv (stops the service when you are finished with it)
    sc config wuauserv start= disabled (disables the service until next time you run this)
    pause (so you can see what happened before you quit)

You may get some issues with UAC, but basically this only allows Windows Update to run when you want it to. For example, you can run it on the Friday after Patch Tuesday. You will also need to set Windows Update to "Off" in Action Center > Security, otherwise it may start to download updates immediately when you run this.

The reason why the KBnnnnnnn numbers you see sometimes don't match the numbers quoted by Susan is that there may be multiple fixes for a given problem, and the one offered to you will depend on your particular software configuration. You can check this out by following the "more information" link for an update, and looking at the list of systems affected.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2014-11-13 at 16:34.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-11-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so now I've confirmed that with the setting "Download but let me choose whether to install", it installs anyway when you shut down! (I used to hibernate overnight and rarely shutdown, but since fitting an SSD, booting is nearly as quick as waking from hibernation.)

I have now specifically watched this happen twice with Windows Defender updates (frankly, I wish it'd just do them, like AV updates) but more seriously with yesterday's emergency Windows out of cycle update.

This is WRONG. I asked to choose and it's doing it anyway!

So as a temporary work-around, I've now set it to install automatically on a Thursday at 18.00 (UK time). That means that I'll be waiting up to a week for Defender updates, but MS will have 2 days in which to pull a bad Windows update.

Regards - Philip

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pleriche View Post
    OK, so now I've confirmed that with the setting "Download but let me choose whether to install", it installs anyway when you shut down...
    On my systems I always set WU to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"; have never had WU install updates unless I told it to.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, Coochin. And you're running Win7 and shutting down overnight?

Thanks
    Invoking above batch ideas! Bundeberra, do you run the batch file as a text file within a admin DOS-box?
    Years ago, I ran many many BAT files; however, now, since I have no idea how to get Windows 7 to see BATchfiles and run BATchfile, I open an admin-level DOS box and run the appropriate text files -- is that what you do?

After posting above, I got my own answer. After making the text files as given by Bundeberra, I copy'd them, renamed them as bat files, desktop shortcutted the processing one -- right-clicked on it, and it awhile, but, it ran exactly as bb said it would! Pleriche, you and I received our solution, from bundeberra.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-19 at 07:12.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, a bat file is a solution, of sorts. I'd just like Windows to do as it's told! Can I trust it to do anything?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pleriche View Post
    OK, a bat file is a solution, of sorts. I'd just like Windows to do as it's told! Can I trust it to do anything?
    Your question is a little open-ended, for nothing is impossible for Microsoft and Windows. However, I tried the BATfile -- and so far, Windows Update has not appeared. I'm off to work, I can read but cannot write -- permissions beyond my reach

BB's batchfile:
    rem BATchfiling Windows Update
    sc config wuauserv start=auto
    net start wuauserv
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapp.exe startmenu
    pause
    net stop wuauserv
    sc config wuauserv start=disabled
    pause
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    On my systems I always set WU to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"; have never had WU install updates unless I told it to.
    This is my experience on both my machines too, and they're always switched off at night as well as during the day if I go out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast