Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: F8 key

  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    F8 key

    I don't know if this applies to other computers, but do check.

    When I got this computer not long ago. It had Windows 8. I had changed the safe mode startup according to You Tube in command prompt to boot up by using the F8 key and it worked fine.

    When I did the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 for 8 users. I thought I better check to see if I can get in safe mode with the F8 key. To my surprise it went back to the Windows 8 method ( maybe by default, iam not sure ) to get into safe mode. I changed it again and it works fine, I did check this out. Thanks ( rookie with a computer ) Chuck

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,154
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 307 Times in 267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
    I don't know if this applies to other computers, but do check.

    When I got this computer not long ago. It had Windows 8. I had changed the safe mode startup according to You Tube in command prompt to boot up by using the F8 key and it worked fine.

    When I did the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 for 8 users. I thought I better check to see if I can get in safe mode with the F8 key. To my surprise it went back to the Windows 8 method ( maybe by default, iam not sure ) to get into safe mode. I changed it again and it works fine, I did check this out. Thanks ( rookie with a computer ) Chuck
    AFAIK whether you can boot Win8/8.1 to Safe Mode depends on what "firmware" your computer's motherboard has. If the "firmware" is the traditional BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) then the F8 key should allow you to boot to Windows' "Safe Mode". If the "firmware" is the more recent UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) then pressing F8 probably won't allow you to boot to "Safe Mode".

    UEFI is often mistakenly called "UEFI BIOS", but they are two quite different technologies.

    See Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, and Basic Input-Output System Wikipedia articles.

    UEFI is relatively new technology, so is still developing. UEFI has presented certain "challenges" to those who are comfortable with the traditional BIOS, but there are some advantages with UEFI that make it attractive.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,436
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

    I remembered changing this once but some how it got changed back most likely by an update. I just checked my machine Win 8.1 Update 1 UEFI/Secure Boot and F8 did NOT work.

    I applied this fix:
    Enable F8 Boot Menu at Startup
    1. Open a Command Window in Administrator Mode
    2. Type: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    3. Type: Exit
    To revert to normal Win 8 behavior replace legacy with standard.

    F8 now works as it should. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

    Coochin (2014-11-14)

  5. #4
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    F8 key

    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

    I remembered changing this once but some how it got changed back most likely by an update. I just checked my machine Win 8.1 Update 1 UEFI/Secure Boot and F8 did NOT work.

    I applied this fix:
    Enable F8 Boot Menu at Startup
    1. Open a Command Window in Administrator Mode
    2. Type: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    3. Type: Exit
    To revert to normal Win 8 behavior replace legacy with standard.

    F8 now works as it should. HTH
    I think your exactly right. The safe mode most likely went back to default mode, I guess. I don't have good computer skills. Iam glad we checked it. I just hope others do. Is all we can do is put the word out to check it.
    You have good computer skills, and that's great.
    On that One Drive, I never use it. I went to pc settings, that slider that you can put ( off or on ) I switched to off, but by default it changes back to on. Any ideas ? Thanks Chuck

  6. #5
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    In Windows 7, I did this: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
    I'm wondering if Windows 8 will allow the above, if works, you will reach an easy fork: normal boot or F8 boot
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  7. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    In Windows 7, I did this: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
    I'm wondering if Windows 8 will allow the above, if works, you will reach an easy fork: normal boot or F8 boot
    It sure will work in Windows 8 and 8.1 like Windows 7 with F8 Key. Iam average with any computer. When I got this pc a few months back, it had Windows 8. That's the first thing I did enabled F8 key and it worked great. When I did the FREE upgrade to Windows 8.1 I thought I better check to see if F8 key works for 8.1 good thing I did, with 8.1 upgrade F8 key didn't work, it had changed back. I changed it to use F8 key. No problems at all. It works great. Tell Friends that did this upgrade to check F8 key, function. Thanks, Chuck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •