New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Need help installing XP SP2 on second drive

SIMPLE question: I have XP SP2 installed. I want to install the same exact thing on a 2nd hard drive, make it bootable, installed in the same machine as a backup.
    Just PLEASE answer the question i am asking: the install routine for XP starts just fine, and i got it to the point where it was asking for the KEY, but before I continue I want to know THIS: can i tell it to install on DRIVE D, not DRIVE C (the drive I am running it from), and will it leave my current running version of XP on DRIVE C untouched, just install itself clean on the new drive D? THAT IS WHAT I WANT and you would not BELIEVE how tough this is to do.
    I tried running The XP install from just a dos prompt, but it will not allow that.

thank you

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When I didn't want the new installation to mess with the current installation I unplugged the current HDD first, kept Windows from even knowing about the current installation. Windows can become problematic during the install when it sees another version already installed.

I tried running The XP install from just a dos prompt, but it will not allow that.
    If it's not an Upgrade disc it generally has to be booted to before it will run the install routine.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Even simpler, just clone the current system partition to the target location and you have a fully functioning backup (barring any boot configuration changes you might have to make).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb SOLVED my own problem:)

No thanks to anyone in the myriad of forums I posted this question to, I found my OWN ANSWER, and in the process the ideal backup software as well. FREE SOFTWARE called XXCLONE. This beautiful thing runs right inside your existing XP and creates a COMPLETE mirror image of your entire hard drive on any new hard drive attached to the same machine, IDE or SATA, and makes the new drive independently bootable if you so wish.
    I tested the SATA drive after the install with all my other drives turned both OFF and ON in the bios, and it boots perfectly either way. I OWE MY SANITY TO XXCLONE!
    This thing backed up my whole drive and WORKED in under 10 minutes flat with no extra work from me at all.
    All that freaking voodoo about making boot disks and slipsteaming SATA drivers - total NONSENSE - just FORGET ABOUT IT ALL.
    Oh, and by the way, I offer a special raspberry award to MICROSOFT for making their own help COMPLETE gibberish (their instructions to create an XP boot diskette are utterly USELESS), as well as for totally abandoning the tens of millions who still use XP. I'm surprised no lawyers have filed a class action suit over this yet. It seems patently monopolistic and unfair to me for any company to be able to tell you "you can no longer use the product you bought from us" when said product was never sold with a stated expiration date.

Thanks
    Old saying...."Don't sweat the small stuff"!

Drive cloning has been around and FREE, (if you look for it) since 1997 when a little known company in New Zealand wrote the program "Ghost".
    Since then, Symantec bought it and mucked it up, like everything they touch.

I've been using it and its descendents ever since. The last version I got and still use is "Ghost 11.5" which still works to make backups or Clones of Windows 8.1.

I even found it on the internet one day, much to my surprise. It was an ISO for a Ghost boot CD. But, Symantec denies that it ever existed. Go figure!

Cheers Mate, and Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ...Since then, Symantec bought it and mucked it up, like everything they touch...
    You got that right Doc!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Fisher View Post
    ...I'm surprised no lawyers have filed a class action suit over this yet. It seems patently monopolistic and unfair to me for any company to be able to tell you "you can no longer use the product you bought from us" when said product was never sold with a stated expiration date...
    I totally contradict your "said product was never sold with a stated expiration date" - nowhere in any of the WinXP EULAs is there anything stated that could be interpreted to mean such as what you have asserted. Fact is that (for all their ills) M$ gave long warning that they would end support for XP in April 2014.

There is also a general inconsistency in your complaints, in that you rail against M$ re various problems but it seems you are still using XP SP2. Why?

It is now about six and a half years since SP3 for XP was released yet you are still stuck with SP2? Why?
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have to go along with that about SP2. Microsoft dropped support of WinXP with SP2 back in 2010. Most things for WinXP I've seen in the last few years require SP3 be installed, specified on their packaging or download page.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Thanks
    ?He is probably stuck with SP2 'cause of specialized software that will run perfectly only on that XP SP2 platform?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ?He is probably stuck with SP2 'cause of specialized software that will run perfectly only on that XP SP2 platform?
    Then he really has a serious problem in that how much longer will it work?

Sorry, XP SP2 is long dead.