Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 Quit After Installing Cumulative Update

Hello All -
    After installing the latest round of Windows updates, I experienced the "Explorer Quit Working" message when I tried to access the web. I tried a few different sites with the same results. I then uninstalled the cumulative IE 11 patch, and everything returned to normal. I tried the update again today with similar results. I then opened up the EMET 5.0 tool and deselected all of the check boxes for IE 11. Explorer started working normally again. Taking the lazy man's route, I don't really feel like adding each of the check marks one at a time until I find the one that's causing the issue. Does anyone know which of the selections might be the culprit. After next month's update, I'll try again with protections fully enabled. This seems similar to the thread started by Willis a couple of days ago. Thanks

Casey H.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    EAF+:

If you are using Internet Explorer 11, either on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, and have deployed EMET 5.0, it is particularly important to install EMET 5.1 as compatibility issues were discovered with the November Internet Explorer security update and the EAF+ mitigation. Alternatively, you can temporarily disable EAF+ on EMET 5.0. Details on how to disable the EAF+ mitigation are available in the User Guide. In general we recommend upgrading to the latest version of EMET to benefit from all the enhancements.
    EMET 5.1 is available

Bruce

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2014-11-15),csmart4125 (2014-12-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. I do indeed have version 5.0. I'll remedy that ASAP.

Casey H

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Bruce. I just installed EMET 5.1, and everything works perfectly.

Casey H.