New Lounger
    Thanks

Intermittent lockup / freeze and Reboot of Win7-64bit

Hello to all...

This is my first post as I came across the thread:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/138801

Seems it is too old for a "reply" so I'm here to start or re-state the discussion...

I'm having this same issue. I thought originally it may have been something I did when I tried to move my "AppData" folder to another drive, so I moved it back. Then I thought it might be my SSD crapping out as it constantly wants to run check disk and seems to always find something bad to fix. So I purchased a 4TB Seagate Hybrid SSD and struggled through the lockups to get it cloned onto my new 4TB drive. Still had lockup issues...

I then decided it was time for a clean fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate so I stated the process. During which I told it to "Delete" all of the partitions on my 4TB drive as well as the two 3TB drives. The 4TB drive is on the Intel SATA connector and the two 3TB drives are on the Maxwell SATA connectors. I re-installed windows and right away, it is still have the intermittent lockups. Never had this the first time around. I struggled through these hoping that installing the Motherboard drivers would fix the problem... No go, still locks up. Have not yest installed any video drivers for my card.

I decided to pull out the two 3TB drives as these are not even formatted for use yet and the system still is locking up. I made sure that the only devices I have plugged in right now are the USB Mouse, Keyboard, and Memory Stick I have the drivers on. The system still locks up....

I was suspecting that maybe it is the 4TB Drive I just purchased, but the issue was there before and I have already run a "chkdsk c: /r" on this drive. I'm starting to wonder if I have another Hardware issue as now I keep getting a BSD with something like Hardware Exception error. Sorry I'm at work and did not write down the exact BSD message and system is at home.

When I first built this system I had no issue what so ever with lockups. My plan tonight is to completely reset the BIOS, possibly update it as well, but start fresh. BTW: I have no special tweaks in the bios to try and enhance performance. I'm using standard settings. I will also take a look at the UAC and PSI mentioned in the above previous thread. ALL of my lockups are just that, system completely freezes so I cannot do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to activate Task Manager. Then after about 15 to 30 seconds the system reboots. Now with the fresh install I sometimes get the BSD...

Here is what I have, it's only about two years or less old:

Win 7 Ultimate x64
    MB - ASUS P9X79 PRO
    i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    RAM 32.0 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    C: - 4TB Seagate Hybrid SSD/HDD
    D: - 3TB Drive
    F & E: - PIONEER BD-RW
    G: - 3TB Drive
    Case Corsair Obsidian Series Black 800D
    CORSAIR AX1500i 1500W

I'm also hoping it is not my "CORSAIR AX1500i 1500W" power supply.

Decided I would purchase Windows 8.x as I might as well since I'm starting fresh again....

Thanks,
    Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you investigated the BSOD errors?
    Intermittent errors are very difficult to debug. Have you done other hardware testing?

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Intermittent lockups are likely to be hardware, especially if your SSD want to run check disk all the time. A BIOS reset and re-seat of all connectors is a good starting point. Try the re-install with only one hard disk to try to eliminate a disk problem. It's also worth trying the disk on different connectors to try to eliminate the disk controller.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The BSOD error is "MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION"

I just tried installing Windows 8.1 Pro and it popped up near end of install. Seems that it would not initially use my 4TH drive as a single drive. I think it was running a chkdsk of the drive and could have locked up and rebooted during the chkdsk?

I rechecked all my connections on the MB and PSU as well as the drives etc.

After dinner I'm going to try and reinstall again, but this time on one of my 3TB drives.
    Last edited by rjbur; 2014-11-14 at 22:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same BSOD error reported with 3TB drive. Started the recovery command prompt and running chkdsk no. Will then update this post with info from mini dump report once I find it on drive.

So far stages 1-4 of chkdsk report no issues. Stage 5 is 4% complete.

Update - now Stage 5 at 19%. Have not been able to read mini dump yet but many sights are pointing to a possible voltage setting issue with CPU. Still reading... And reading... And praying... And reading....
    Last edited by rjbur; 2014-11-15 at 00:21.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    WhoCrashed will find and give an interpretation of your dump files, but does it still lock up in Safe Mode with Networking ?

HWMonitor will display the voltages while you are running.

You could also try Driver Verifier http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-15 at 09:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First I would like to say THANK YOU to all that have responded!!!

Second.... I think I'm back up and running!!!

Seems that one of the most common causes of this error for a configuration one has a processor and mother board that allows "Overclocking" is that the processor requires more voltage. My "ASUS P9X79 PRO" mother boards BIOS was set to a standard defauly which looks to me as everything was running AUTO. The voltage on my "i7-3930K CPU" seem to be set low compared to may I was seeing on various sites. I decide I would reload one of my previous tweaks that a friend help me setup (I'm no expert in overclocking) that would target 4.5 Mhz. I knew this should raise my voltage.

NOW IT WORK!!!

I'm running at:

Speed: 4.5 MHz
    Vcore: 1.312 V

I still have the cover off my case so temps may be a bit low:

CPU: 40.0C
    Motherboard: 33.0C

Voltages all look good on the power supply so I think I'll take the one I just purchased back:

+12V = 12.192V
    +5V = 5.040V
    +3.3 = 3.280V

So I think I'm back up and running and it's time to pt the covers back on the case....

The various sites I found seem to think that if the BSOD error "MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION" code has 0x0124 its a good chance it is the PDU or voltage to the CPU. Since I have a MB and CPU that allows playing with the voltage settings I started investigating what my CPU likes for voltage settings...

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!

Rich