New Lounger
    Thanks

setpoint32.exe error and tcpmon.ini

I am encountering a frequent setpoint32 error on start up which I think (based on sfc /scannow) arises from a corrupt tcpmon.ini which sfc cannot repair. The Windows 7 screen looks fine but basically I cannot use any software, I have tried the idea in one thread of updating my ATI Radeon driver but this does not seem to have cured it. I an having difficulty in finding out exactly what tcpmon.ini is and which software installs it. I have done much googling but without any really satisfactory answers. I am trying to avoid a clean install as I do not have time and apparently cannot do a repair install as I only have a Dell re-installation CD and not a Windows installation CD. From time to time the issue disappears but I hesitate to reboot as it returns frequently. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas?

David

Thanks

Thanks
    A quick google on setpoint32 points to Logitech software.

Perhaps reinstalling any mouse related software is another avenue to try?

Thanks
    I've finally settled on not using anymore 3rd party mouse software and letting Windows Whatever mouse driver and CTL-PNL do its thing. Shofar, so good. Years ago, within WfW311 & W95 - used MS Intellipoint stuff.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize setpont32 is a logitech mouse file but I do not believe this is the real problem which appears to be a corrupt tcpmon.ini as revealed by sfc /scannow (how can a simple .ini file be corrupt). The solutions suggested by eHow do not seem to cover corrupt .ini files.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Usually the first thing to try are your restore points prior to this occurring but an offboot sfc /scannow may do it.

For this you will need to download and Save the appropriate ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...-2#post-124821 and use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

Tap F12 (usually) as you switch on and change the one off boot order for the media you are using, insert the media and press enter.

You will momentarily be prompted to press any key to boot from that media and then may be presented with a screen to press F8 for those options.

Press F8 then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and click on Repair your Computer from the splash screen, navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter it gives, enter (assuming C: ) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

That's a Pipe symbol before find and should you need it, that's the upper case of \