Thanks

RollerStoller's Blue Water Navy Aircraft Carrier Task Force cold/warm boot & startup

RollerStoller's Blue Water Navy Aircraft Carrier Task Force cold/warm boot & startup.

It all begins, with the first coldboot of the day...
    Only once, I have to use the following set command @ DOS prompt:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes [or no]
    Note: shift correct items, it is {}, not () nor []
    The displayed boot menu, along with msconfig tweaks, allows the powering up of all related AC-powered devices,
    and there is a 420 second delay before computer displays the Windows 7 [normal boot] and F8 choices.
    Msconfig tweaks:
    General tab -- Selective Startup, Load Startup Items
    Boot tab -- No GUI boot, boot log, OS boot information; Timeout box has 420 seconds.
    [Do NOT click the Make all boot settings permanent; do not]
    Ignore remaining tabs for normal OPs; only tweak when there is/are trouble[s].
    I have up to seven minutes [if I want, can hit enter to stop the 420 countdown] for total warming up of all devices,
    router/modem to be fully online, printer says "hi," scanner does a sweep-noScan-motion, and
    finally I see the Windows 7 Pro's Administrator and Stoller logon choices.
    I normally choose Stoller, log on with the pasword, enter or click the arrow.
    [There are times I had to shutdown or restart, by clicking into the lower-right-hand-corner red-colored WhatChaMaCallit.]

Next, will cover the desktop, gadgets, taskbar-pins, taskbar notification area [which I often think of as the RollerStoller NORAD section].
    [I do not mind at all waiting between 5-7 minutes for all 18-25 icons to appear.]
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-15 at 16:01.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    A few reasons for the 5-7 minute cold/warm boot sequence.
    When you wanted Safe Mode[s], Diagnosis Mode, Boot Log, etc., and how many of you were successful in hitting F8 the first time at the right time during W8 or W7 boots? Not me! There were times when I did not want normal boot, I wanted into Safe or Whatever boot, and it took several tries to F8 into it.
    Now, some of you are running Windows 95-98SE on older computers. I found it best to allow everything to come to optimum operating temperatures, devices to fully come online [such as external DSL router/modems], and so on.
    In my experience over the years, if the Windows comes up last -- it's for the best, for me, anyhow.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-16 at 08:17. Reason: added a missing word: how
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Desktop, gadgets, taskbar-pins, taskbar notification area [which I often think of as the RollerStoller NORAD section].
    [I do not mind at all waiting between 5-7 minutes for all 18-25 icons to appear.]
    Gadets are clock w/second sweep, RRTX weather, calendar, Avast & Comodo widgets. Canon Scanner 110, Cyberlink etc, battery bar [on the laptops] widgets. [Avoid widget-wedgies via careful setup & anti-viri/malware scanning.]
    Taskbar pins are the thingies that I use quite often, I like them better than Quick Launch, haven't used QL in years;
    however, you need to do what is best for your OPs. Because HitmanPro & Spybot 1.62 do not have notification icons, I have those two taskbar-pinned. My desktop program items number not that many. I have two folders that contain folders of categorized icons, geekNtech & RMS projects. I use a zTemp desktop folder to "herd" numerous icons from numerous installs, numerous create-shortcuts, etc. Does anyone use Briefcase? What are features, benefits, negatives of Briefcase?
    Notification icons area: because I desire to monitor, to know what is normal OPs, I click "Show icon and notification" option for any and every possible icon that can be placed there, by program and/or by me. This RollerStoller NORAD area "advises" me when something is coming, has come, over the North Pole [or from East or West] because a particular icon or group of icon behavior that is outside of normal OPs. I can begin troubleshooting early if the difference exists too long.

Outside of my computer, out in the REAL world:
    NORAD = North American Aerospace Defense Command
    http://www.norad.mil/
    U.S. Northern Command [Defending Our Homeland]
    http://www.northcom.mil/
    These two entities, in the real world, provide real protection for USA!
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-15 at 16:44.

Thanks
    Alright, in the REAL world, we have two entities that --
    -- monitor events to prevent what can be prevented
    -- monitor events to proAct and/or ReAct to situations
    NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization
    http://www.nato.int/
    OSCE - Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
    http://www.osce.org/

In RollerStoller Computer world, nothing near as grand or sweeping or vast as NATO & OSCE, we have:
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 6.1.7601 [build] SP1
    MBAM-Prmm, Rltme updts, Updts/ThrtScn, 0500, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    HitmanPro, updtsWhnStrtd, QckScn, 0600, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    CIS/Comodo Antivirus, updts, MmryScnOne, 0630, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    CIS/Comodo Antivirus, updts, QckScn, 0700, SunThu, IfMssdNoScn
    Avast, hrly updts, QckScn, 0700, MonWedFri, IfMssdNoScn
    Avira, updtsEvry6hrs, QckSystmScn, 0700, TueSat, ifMssdNoScn
    CIS/Comodo Antivirus, updts, MmryScnTwo, 0930, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    SUPERAntispyware, hrly updts, updts/QckScn, 1000, SunTueThuSat, IfMssdNoScn
    Avira, updtsEvry6hrs, RtktMlwrScn, 1000, MonWedFri, ifMssdNoScn
    SUPERAntispyware, hrly updts, updts/CmpltScn, 1300, SunTueThuSat, IfMssdNoScn
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware, HrlyUpdts, Scn, 1300, MonWedFri, IfMssdNoScn
    MBAM-Prmm, Rltme updts, Updts/FllScn, 1700, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    CIS/Comodo Antivirus, updts, FllScn, 2000, SunThu, IfMssdNoScn
    Avast, hrly updts, FllScn, 2000, MonWedFri, IfMssdNoScn
    Avira, updtsEvry6hrs, CmpltSystmScn, 2000, ThuSat, ifMssdNoScn
    CIS/Comodo Antivirus, updts, MmryScnThree, 2230, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    WD, UpdtsViaWU, QckScn, Dly, 2300, IfMssdNoScn; MstOftnTrnON; updtsByWU
    MSE, UpdtsViaWU, QckScn, Dly, 2400, IfMssdNoScn; updtsByWU&onDemand
    Spybot S&D, Updte, xx30, Dly, IfMssdNoUpdte
    Spybot S&D, Scan, xx00, Dly, IfMssdNoScn
    If anyone really cares, I can explain whatever short-cut abbreviations you like.

Added 11/18: True, nobody runs that many scans a day. Because desktop is ON or OFF during the week on no particular schedule at all, any strange combination of AM/PM hours, I figure that a few scans, from a few sources, are bound to run.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-01 at 04:57.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Does anyone use Briefcase?
    No: Win 7 Briefcase

What are features, benefits, negatives of Briefcase?
    Easily corrupted: Briefcase Limitations

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What is this thread about? Is there a real problem to solve here?

Joe

Thanks
    JoeP517, there is no problem to be solved here. I'm gathering ideas from those who have speedy-boots and slow-boots -- to find out if there are better ways to prevent some of the new viri & malware, and how to better minimize the disruption [or damage] that new viri & malware cause - especially if such goes undetected too long, and even becomes partNparcel within image backups. Our "monitoring and warfare" against ever new & ever increasing viri & malware is never-ending.
    Long, long, ago, the US Navy did just fine using sailing vessels, some faster, some slower. Now, the US Navy has much more modern, vessels above & under the seas. While the Navy Seals & other OPs use ultra-fast, ultra well defended vessels, other parts of the Navy has aircraft carriers.
    While in the real world, and in the virtual world -- not much can actually, really, be prevented, MUCH can be done to monitor and minimize whatsoever comes along. I'm all for sharing ideas, concepts, utilities!

Thanks
    -- to find out if there are better ways to prevent some of the new viri & malware, and how to better minimize the disruption [or damage] that new viri & malware cause -
    Full UEFI BIOS implamantation complimented by an OS that run on top of it is about the best you're gonna be able to do, aside for the behavioral part of it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Full UEFI BIOS implementation complimented by an OS that run on top of it is about the best you're gonna be able to do, aside for the behavioral part of it.
    I was told here that UEFI and BIOS cannot be used in the same sentence Unless you can have dual UEFI & BIOS switching within any one computer. Since I am only running BIOS, can you give me some ideas concerning implementation. While I can fine-tune, I am pretty bad at originating.

Thanks
    Just UEFI, not both is what I meant to say.

Since I am only running BIOS, can you give me some ideas concerning implementation.
    No. You need full UEFI in order to take advantage of it's more secure boot features.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Clint, thanks for the info! That's good stuff for Windows 8. I do not want any of it for my Windows 7 Pro.
    Previously, Windows 8 was so secure -- I could not boot my repair/replace USB stick.
    I could only boot either my Acronis TIH15/DD 12 DVD or the manufacturer's DVD.
    You are perfectly correct about more secure boot, however, it will not prevent or minimize viri or malware creeping in.

Clint's signature includes:
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache
    My take: Those are golden apples on platters of silver!

rjs-self-note:
    ...What you can do is put a Favorites toolbar in the Taskbar. Right click on the Taskbar and choose Toolbar>New Toolbars. Navigate to C:\Users\yourname. Highlight Favorites and click Select Folder. It will appear on the right hand side of the Taskbar. You can also create a shortcut in the Task bar using:- C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Users\yourname\Favorites as the destination and dragging it into the Taskbar from the Desktop then deleting the Desktop icon...
    -- quoted from another thread, saving here for home use! I can add my security folder onto the taskbar and get rid of all those taskbar-pins
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-24 at 09:33.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You are perfectly correct about more secure boot, however, it will not prevent or minimize viri or malware creeping in.
    Preventing malware is the primary purpose of UEFI Secure Boot:

the use of UEFI Secure Boot ... limits the opportunity for malware developers to attack a system before anti-malware software can be enabled.

UEFI SECURE BOOT IN MODERN COMPUTER SECURITY SOLUTIONS (PDF)

Thanks
    Clint, Bruce, when my laptop was returned from Altex, after they rolled Windows 8 back to Windows 7, in place of UEFI, I found only BIOS. Unless my laptop has a hidden switch during cold-boot, F2 or something, there is only BIOS.
    I have no idea on how I would reinstall UEFI, how would my Windows 7 Pro be able to USB boot?
    Bruce, I downloaded that paper you pointed to, it will be added to the library.

Thanks
    Your motherboard has to support UEFI, not BIOS, otherwise it's a no go.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Your motherboard has to support UEFI, not BIOS, otherwise it's a no go.
    I'm sure the motherboard supports UEFI, however, the rollback from W8 to W7 left me with BIOS.
    BIOS it is. We go from there. Onward to the prevention and/or minimization of viri and malware from USB boot, from CD/DVD boot, and from normal hard-drive boot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**12/11: I'm going to SOLVED this thread. I will start a new thread concerning backup and restore.**

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-11 at 14:08.