Lounger
    Thanks

usb crashes intermittently

I purchased a brand new Computer in May 2014. In the first three weeks, the syatem crashed when I inserted memory stick. I took it back to the vendor, and the tech found out that there was a loose connection which was fixed, a couple of months later, it did the same. I took it back and the tech could not recreate the problem. They tried it for four days and it never crashed. Even then, at my insistence, they changed the whole front panel of the computer and the system worked fine until last week when it happened again. The problem is intermittent and can not be recreated by the tech. When I insert the memory stick, the system does not recognize it and the computer crashes. Once I rebbot, it satrts to recognize the memory stick and works fine for a few weeks. This happens once every few weeks or months.
    I suspect ot is hardware problem and the tech guesses it as windows problem. The tech suggests to reinstall windows. However, doing this does not guarantee that the problem will be eliminated once and all. Reinstalling windows will create weeks of work as I have a lot of accounting, tax and other programs.

My system is:
    Custom made PC
    Windows 7 professional
    16 GB ram
    240 GB SS drive
    I TB hard drive
    Nvidea GE force GTX 660.

I hope someone can advise me and confirm whether it is hardware or windows problem

I appreciate any help available.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noormotani View Post
    When I insert the memory stick, the system does not recognize it and the computer crashes.
    What make/model of memory stick?

Have you scanned it with antivirus?

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use several different memory sticks. When it happens, it could be any one. The brand of memory sticks I use are Kingstone, Scan Disk, relay, and Memorex. I scan for virus often with Security essentials, spybot, and malwarebytes. I also use c-clean to clean my system and registry. Since this is an intermittent problem, it does not matter what memory stick I use or it is a virus, given that with the reboot it works fine.
    Any other questions or suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked Event Viewer for any related errors with a time stamp corresponding to the fault ?

You could try or ask the tech to try a Repair Install but they aren't always trouble free http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-16 at 04:32.

Thanks
    Is this behavior confined to the front panel or can it be replacated in the rear too?
    Are we talking about USB 2.0 or 3.0?
    Is this an actual PC crash or just an instance of the USB thumb drives occasionally and sporatically not being recognized?

In any even an actual crash report would be helpfull...
    Have you checked Event Viewer for any related errors with a time stamp corresponding to the fault ?
    Yes, by all means, look in the event viewer or install a crash viewer program.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    WhoCrashed is usually recommended if you need it http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with a custom-built computer where whenever I attempted to plug a memory stick in the front panel the system would fully shut down. I began to suspect a poor ground for the front USB socket. This happened intermittently but sometimes several times in a row.
    I solved by buying a USB extender on a longer cord which I plugged into the back of the system. Then I taped off the front sockets so as not to be tempted to use them. No failures since.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. I forgot to say I believed static electricity was the culprit as the failure occurred the instant my stick touched the socket. The failure occurred with different sticks.

Thanks
    Ground thyself always. And, make an image backup of your C-Drive onto an external device or different partition, also recommend you make a CD\DVD boot to restore said image later. With one or two backups done, you can experiment with present configurations, reinstall Windows, have fun...and, if the culprit was not your OS, reimage C-Drive back. Also, if you isolate the hardware and/or software cause[s] -- a re-image may not be necessary. I'm been using Acronis for some time now, however, there are many good pay-for and free choices of backup/restore programs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I will third the static scenario. I try to remember to always ground ny self on the case before inserting a usb stick. My new case is painted so I have been thinking a setting up a grounding wire on my front panel to avoid this.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.