2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 MOBO Driver Problem

I'm not sure whether this should best be added to the OS or the hardware thread, but I'll start here and leave it to the Admins to move if I've erred.

I have a Dell Optiplex 9010, which I've recently rebuilt with Windows 7 Professional X64, as my main Windows 8.1 PC went down a couple of weeks ago and is resisting all attempts at resurrection. (In a way, I'm quietly grateful as Windows 8.1 rubs me up the wrong way in so many aspects, but that's a subject for a different thread).

I'm having grief connecting a Datalogic Gryphon GBT4100 scanner, which refuses to be recognised by the PC despite my best efforts, (and a manual that assumes so much without actually explaining some key aspects). In performing some basic troubleshooting to try to resolve this, I spotted an entry in Device Manager that concerns me. The entry for "SM Bus Controller" has an exclamation mark against it and, drilling into it, error code 28 is shown - "The drivers for this device are not installed". I've tried the 'Update drivers' option but Windows finds nothing. I've tried reinstalling the Dell Chipset drivers, (as I'm told the SM Bus driver is a component thereof), but the exclamation mark remains.

While finding loads of Google hits related to problems about the SM Bus, I've found few that actually define or explain it. I understand that it's a System Management bus and is related to allowing the motherboard to communicate with low speed devices. This may or may not have an implication or my frustrations with the scanner, but I'd like the driver problem resolved just in case.

One Dell reference that I uncovered - which I guess should have more credence as it relates specifically to the PC - suggested that the root of the error is that I didn't install the hardware and component drivers in the right order and, worryingly, recommended that the best way to resolve it was to scrub and reinstall Windows from scratch, this time following the recommended order for the drivers, (which doesn't sound too different from the order I followed this time, as I remember. I'm aware that chipset drivers are fairly fundamental to the installation and installed them, I think, just after the network drivers, which were needed to allow me to connect with my NAS, where the drivers are stored).

I've got the PC ticking along nicely now - with Office and other apps installed sweetly and recovered my profile specific settings to the point where it's working well - notwithstanding this particular niggle. I'd rather not just tear that all down and start again if possible.

So, I'm either looking for a way to resolve the driver issue without the rebuild or some third-party confirmation that the rebuild is really the only alternative.

Does anyone have any insights they'd care to share?

Many thanks.

P.S. (I'm not sure whether it's significant but since the original build, I've added a graphics card and sound card as I found the Dell system versions to be competent but basic. Both installed without errors first time and appear to be behaving normally. I've disabled the System equivalents in BIOS).
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it's usually Chipset then Video drivers as you can usually use the on board LAN to connect to the 'net and Windows Updates would probably include a wireless driver.

I think Dell usually use Intel graphics/chipset while AMD includes the drivers for the SM Bus Controller, so perhaps downloading/updating your GPU may resolve that after first downloading the Chipset drivers again.

Windows is usually a dead loss for finding up to date drivers and you're better off either going to the computer or the GPU vendor support site.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-16 at 05:25.

Thanks
    SM Bus Controller sounds like a chipset driver to me, and you'll only get it from one place: DELL

So go back to the site and download ALL the drivers offered to you for your computer make, specific model, and OS.
    Then tuck them well labeled and safely away in a storage folder somewhere off the main drive.

All your chipset drivers should be installed, from earliest to newest.
    One on top of the other.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have an AMD CPU with AMD graphics on this laptop and it's the AMD graphics drivers that act as the chipset and as we don't know what was fitted instead, is why I mentioned AMD - but agree where there are separate chipset drivers, they are the ones that would include the SM Bus Controller.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTetch View Post
    ...Does anyone have any insights they'd care to share?....
    First have the chipset drivers for your computer available locally (i.e.: C:\Drivers\Chipset).

Open an elevated Command Prompt (Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools, right-click Command Prompt click "Run as administrator").

Type
    SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    (press enter)

Type
    START DEVMGMT.MSC
    (press enter)

A "Device Manager" dialog will open, click "Show Hidden Devices" in the View menu.

You can now uninstall any invalid/disconnected devices, especially "unknown devices" and anything dimmed (not present) you think might be to do with the chipset (right-click, then click "Uninstall").

WARNING: exercise caution, particularly with removal of sound, network, and non-plug'n'play devices; devices in these categories might be shown dimmed as if not present but are nevertheless needed for the parent device to function correctly.

Close Device Manager (do not restart the computer).

Then install the chipset drivers you downloaded from the Dell website (or Intel if it has an Intel chipset).

The driver installation sequence recommended by OEMs such as Dell is not "set-in-concrete". Certainly it is ideal to install chipset drivers first, followed by VGA, audio, LAN, etc., but there should not be any dire effects if the recommended sequence cannot be followed for some reason.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Win 7 MOBO Driver Problem - Fixed!

Thank you, Sudo15, Clint and Coochin. I think the issue is resolved.

I followed Coochin's advice of rolling back the drivers to greyed out devices then reinstalled the Chipset drivers. The first attempt failed after a complaining dialog box from the nVidia graphics drivers, so I uninstalled them, too. This time, the Chipset reinstall went without a hitch so I completed things by reinstalling the driver packages in the order recommended in the Dell paper, (Which is here if anyone would like to read it), reinstalling the nVidia drivers then rebooted (while holding my breath a tad, it must be said).

The PC restarted sweetly and everything in Device Manager appears to have been enumerated and installed correctly - there are no exclamation marks and no 'Unknown Devices'.

Thanks again for all your help. I can now re-commence my tussle with this stubborn scanner from a clean slate.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"