Thanks

Question Migrate settings to new profile

I created a new user account and used Windows Easy Transfer to copy the Windows settings from an old account. Is there a way to transfer all of my Office 2010 Access, Excel, and Word preferences, Word/Excel macros/VBAs, etc., from the old profile to the new one? Thanks.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy-W View Post
    I created a new user account and used Windows Easy Transfer to copy the Windows settings from an old account. Is there a way to transfer all of my Office 2010 Access, Excel, and Word preferences, Word/Excel macros/VBAs, etc., from the old profile to the new one? Thanks.
    THIS LINK might be a convenient starting-point.

Thanks
    This idea might not work for you; I'm just doing a wild guess here. I'm used to copying the involved user appdata local, roaming, program data [think and/or throughout] directories from one computer to another. This works for Firefox, Google Chrome, Thunderbird, eM Client, and Internet Explorer [mostly kinda sorta]. ?Perhaps the above idea may work for you? I have not used Office for some time, and have never "transferred" files within Office.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The question you have put is a good one, and I wish I knew the answer. I keep looking at it and it keeps bugging me. My own interest isnít quite the same as yours, but itís close enough. I realize that you only want a one-time single copy on a single computer, but I am extending the idea to something more general, but still for a single user.

I have run across one possible lead in the form of a TechNet article on Group Policy, but I need some help on this to see if it might be useful. The general idea is that every user would have the same settings as a starting-point, and would be free to personalize from there.

In my case, I am a single user working under different usernames for specialized purposes (and on more than one computer, as well), and I would like all of my accounts to have identical basic settings such as those for spelling and grammar in Word. After that comes the problem keeping things in sync, and other such things.

Thanks
    Let me try this again. I was a bit muddy earlier.
    [user] AppData - Local, LocalLow & Roaming; Program Data
    The above four places contain most if not all configurations, set ups, etc. for almost all programs. You have to dig up the directories for any program you wish to transfer settings from A to other user Accts. For us old timers, it's kinda sorta like IF EXIST directory contents A, copy directory contents to B.
    For example, Firefox has stuff in AppData Local & AppData Roaming. If you want parallel FF, after A's FF is closed [not active], all FF directories must be copied from A to B before you start B's FF. I have done this for FF, tbird, eM Client, GChrome, & even IE. Lemmie know if this works for all or at least some of your programs.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-04 at 21:52.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Let me try this again. I was a bit muddy earlier.
    [user] AppData - Local, LocalLow & Roaming; Program Data
    The above four places contain most if not all configurations, set ups, etc. for almost all programs. You have to dig up the directories for any program you wish to transfer settings from A to other user Accts. For us old timers, it's kinda sorta like IF EXIST directory contents A, copy directory contents to B.
    For example, Firefox has stuff in AppData Local & AppData Roaming. If you want parallel FF, after A's FF is closed [not active], all FF directories must be copied from A to B before you start B's FF. I have done this for FF, tbird, eM Client, GChrome, & even IE. Lemmie know if this works for all or at least some of your programs.
    Muddier and muddier. Well, not really; the problem is that you hit a trigger. All that roaming stuff triggers a recollection of the routine I have gone through many times of separating system from data, installed on separate partitions, and have since abandoned, and without closely examining it I had that in mind. I accept responsibility for not reading it closely, and it is clear that I must now do exactly that.

It was the OP that I had in mind when I posted, and the possibility remains that in my circumstances, not those of the OP, that it might be useful to be able to use a group policy to slap a template onto all of my installations to set all of my (initial) Office settings. Which, as suggested, might lead to a cascade of supplementary considerations, such a keeping all of them in sync if necessary. Personal dictionaries and stuff like that, with personal dictionaries being a dandy example of something that should be manually edited from time to time, since they are curiously susceptible to good old-fashioned typos and user errors, and leave a user compounding his own mistakes.

Thanks
    dogberry, if you can template that stuff, you are way ahead of me! Let me know what happens. Maybe the OP and I can borrow your successful ideas - and do likewise.