Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Student Enrolment Database
2014-11-17, 09:01 #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2002
- Northern Territory, Australia
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Student Enrolment Database
I am embarking on setting up a access database to manage training data. Its the Many to Many relationship that is new to me. I have searched the net for some simple advice and become more confused. Can anyone direct me to where I can find info that explains this in a simple visual way? Or a template that I can get started with.
I want to record courses, course events (or sessions) , students, student enrolments, training providers, venues.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
2014-11-17, 10:05 #2
- Join Date
- Mar 2004
- Manning, South Carolina
- Thanked 1,480 Times in 1,346 Posts
I don't know your level of DB training/experience but this is quite a complex task. Here's some things to keep in mind.
- Enrollments - This is probably a helper table to connect Students - Courses - Sessions
- Students to Courses or Enrollments (Design choice) - Many to Many
- Courses to Sessions - One to Many
- Venues to Sessions - One to Many
- Sessions to Enrollments - One to Many
- Venues to Courses - Many to Many
- Providers to Sessions - One to Many (unless you have shared teaching assignments)
Many to many relationships usually require a Helper Table (like Enrollments) that just stores foreign keys to link the tables properly.
I hope this gives you some useful things to think about. I used to use a smaller version of this as an exercise in an Access course and it was pretty complicated for the students.
Note: This is just an "off the top of my head" list of ideas!