Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 - Hyperlink does not work in template

I have a user who would like the ability to open a couple of PDF forms when she comes to a part of her document assembly template that references said forms. So just trying to keep it simple, I thought hyperlinks would work best so she could just ctrl+click and the pdf would open up for her to fill in.

When I am actually in the template, I can open the hyperlinks without any trouble, but when I access the template through the ribbon as the user would, it gives me an error that the address of this site is not valid.

I tried Googling this issue, but couldn't find anything helpful. Has anyone tried this before? Has anyone found a way to resolve this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks
    I'm not sure if you are referring to a Word Template or not.

"Access the template through the ribbon as the user would" I don't understand. Are you perhaps referring to a building block? Word templates are accessed through the ribbon normally only by adding macros to the QAT or customizing the ribbon.

Are the hyperlinks to pdfs on a website or on a local area network?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is a Word Template that is attached to the ribbon. The template is a massive document assembly that also has a macro. There is one section of this template where the user has to fill in two additional forms required by the bank. These are fill-in abled PDF documents that the bank provided to us. I thought that I could just create a hyperlink in the template to these PDF documents using hyperlinks, so if the user requires these forms while compiling the document assembly, she could just click on the hyperlink and it would open these PDF documents for her in Adobe.

All the templates are saved to a locked network drive that only I have access to in order to make changes to them. They are then copied over to the local user's c:\ drive in a folder called "Custom Templates" that sits on the root of the C:\ drive, and then there are two subfolders "Macrofiles" and "Templates" within that Custom Templates folder. This particular template is saved in the Templates folder and the PDF documents are in the Macrofiles folder. The user accesses all their templates through a customized ribbon.

The problem is that the hyperlinks won't work when I open the document through the ribbon (effectively creating a copy of the template). However, when I open the actual template, they will work.

I'm not sure what I'm missing? I thought hyperlinks were relatively straightforward and could find nothing on the internet that states that they cannot be used in a template.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by maverik; 2014-11-18 at 11:44.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds like the hyperlinks are relative to the location of the document?

When you open the template itself, the relative path to the hyperlink is ..\Macrofiles\somename.pdf
    When you create a new document from the template, initially the doc is unsaved so a relative path would fail. Once the new doc is saved, the user is unlikely to the same folder as the template so the relative path would also fail. This is a lose/lose situation for a relative path hyperlink.
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2014-11-18 at 18:34.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response! Are all the hyperlinks created through the Hyperlink field relative or is there some way to force it to be static? I guess the best option then would be a macro?

Thanks so much.