New Lounger
    Thanks

KB2995388 (and 2 others)

I posted this a while ago in the Patch Watch forum area but got no replies. Maybe someone here can answer.

On my Win 8.1 system three updates showed up that weren't addressed in Patch Watch:
    2995388 - October Rollup 8.1
    2998174 - Active Camera
    3006178 - MDM Client Update

The second one I'm not worried about. The third - I really don't know understand enough to know if I need it.
    But the first - the October roll-up - that sounds important enough to where I really need to know if it is as important as it sounds, and whether it is safe to install.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jaman,

I have all 3 installed on my machine w/o any problems. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've also installed all three. Note: you must have Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update: April 2014 installed.

Ms. Bradley recommends installation of non-security patches at the end of the month as long as there have not been reports of problems.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    KB2995388, Windows 8.1 rollup, was covered in Patch Watch on October 30 (the one that mysteriously never made it to a newsletter! ):

Update causes problems with VMware workstations
    KB 2995388 is a nonsecurity Windows 8.1 rollup update that includes various fixes and “improvements” (see the update’s support page for the list). However, it also causes problems with VMware Workstation 10. For now, the workaround is to reinstall VMware 10 after installing KB 2995388 — or, as a VMware blog post recommends, uninstalling the update.

- What to do: Test your VMware application after installing KB 2995388. If you run into problems, I recommend leaving the update installed and reinstalling VMware.

KB2998174, Active camera bugfix, also got a brief mention there as safe to install.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!