Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts

    KB3011780 Out of cycle

    Looks like MS released an out of cycle update on the Nov. 18th 2014. It is dealing with "Kerberos" which has to do with networking in some fashion, not sure exactly what though.
    I installed it so will see how it goes.

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    I just installed it and seems to be no problem.

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    I haven't had any problems either.
    So far anyway.

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Angry Stops wifi working!

    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Looks like MS released an out of cycle update on the Nov. 18th 2014. It is dealing with "Kerberos" which has to do with networking in some fashion, not sure exactly what though.
    I installed it so will see how it goes.
    Installed KB3011780 and after restart my laptop running Vista no longer has access to wifi. So MS solve a security issue by preventing the machine from getting access to the web and rendering the machine useless. Uninstalling the update means I can use my laptop again. Some solution - thanks MS!

  5. #5
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinC View Post
    Installed KB3011780 and after restart my laptop running Vista no longer has access to wifi. So MS solve a security issue by preventing the machine from getting access to the web and rendering the machine useless. Uninstalling the update means I can use my laptop again. Some solution - thanks MS!
    My win 7 Pro x64 Desktop has Wi-Fi on it and it seems to work alright after the patch. The Wi-Fi connected just fine on reboot. Not sure why your Vista laptop Wi-Fi broke. As usual with MS, your mileage may vary.
    It'll be interesting to see what Susan Bradley has to say about it.

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    I see that Susan addressed it in today's newsletter:
    Exchange update: Out-of-cycle or simply overdue?
    Two November Patch Tuesday updates were pulled by Microsoft before they were actually released. One was the quarterly Exchange server update; the other was never really described by Microsoft. We know of it only because MS14-068 was missing from the Patch Tuesday release lineup.

    That mystery security update, KB 3011780, was finally issued on November 18. Rated critical for servers, it patches a privately reported flaw in the Windows Kerberos Key Distribution Center. This network service issues session tickets and keys to users in an Active Directory domain (more info). In other words, the patch is mostly for domain controllers.

    The vulnerability is more a threat to large networks than the peer-to-peer nets used in homes and small offices. Nevertheless, most standalone PC users will see this patch in Windows Update.

    - What to do: On workstations, put KB 3011780 on hold for now; this is a defense-in-depth upgrade. For network administrators, the update should be installed as soon as possible — once you've tested the patch and ensured that network users have no problem signing in to the domain.
    Thanks Susan

  7. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    My win 7 Pro x64 Desktop has Wi-Fi on it and it seems to work alright after the patch. The Wi-Fi connected just fine on reboot. Not sure why your Vista laptop Wi-Fi broke. As usual with MS, your mileage may vary.
    It'll be interesting to see what Susan Bradley has to say about it.
    Bizarrely from blocking access to wireless yesterday and this morning, now its working again and I have wireless access! Didn't do anything (that I'm aware of) - let's hope it lasts. Another of life's mysteries.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,618
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 875 Times in 837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinC View Post
    Bizarrely from blocking access to wireless yesterday and this morning, now its working again and I have wireless access! Didn't do anything (that I'm aware of) - let's hope it lasts. Another of life's mysteries.
    Quite often an AV program can be responsible for blocking connectivity following WUs, although AVs always seem to be able to update themselves and as it does and moves on - connectivity is regained.

    If it happens again, either do a manual check for your AV updates or boot up into Safe Mode with Networking - this will isolate the AV and if you regain connectivity, that will usually confirm it as the cause.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

    csmart4125 (2014-11-28)

  10. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been dealing for 3 weeks with computers on the network that could only access some web sites and not others. We generally couldn't get access to about half the sites that we needed to. We could not access google.com or most sites related to google, but we could access most Microsoft sites including msn.com. Also, our outlook clients could not access the exchange servers hosted by Microsoft. After spending countless hours trying to debug this, including completely cleaning off some machines and reinstalling windows, we tracked it down to this one windows update.

    "KB3011780 Security Update For Windows 7 x64 Based Systems"

    It was only installed on one machine, but from this one machine, it effected half the machines in the office. We also had occasional BSOD on this one machine. Once we uninstalled it from this one machine, every machine in the office went back to normal. How it could effect other machines that it was not even installed on, I have no clue, but the other machines cleared up immediately after this update was uninstalled.

    We bill our clients for our time, so every hour is critical. I would estimate that we lost between 10 and 20 thousand dollars in lost time and billings due to this buggy update. Not to mention, now being behind schedule on our projects. From now on, before you do a Microsoft update, you have to ask yourself "Do You Feel Lucky?"

  11. #10
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    From now on, before you do a Microsoft update, you have to ask yourself "Do You Feel Lucky?"
    I guess I feel lucky this time since I have had none of the problems you describe on the network you administer too. It didn't affect any of the computers on my network ( although my home network is probably much smaller than the one you are dealing with ).
    I haven't had any problem connecting with any sites with IE 11 or Chrome.
    Maybe the update needed to be installed on ALL computers in the network?????

  12. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The update didn't effect Chrome or other browsers that we tried on our machines, and we could have lived with that, except it was effecting our outlook clients. Plus, some machines were totally unaffected by the update, which is strange because our machines have almost identical software setups, so people could easily move from workstation to workstation. It was just really screwy.

  13. #12
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrad View Post
    The update didn't effect Chrome or other browsers that we tried on our machines, and we could have lived with that, except it was effecting our outlook clients. Plus, some machines were totally unaffected by the update, which is strange because our machines have almost identical software setups, so people could easily move from workstation to workstation. It was just really screwy.
    I have Outlook but never use it anymore so from reading your post's, I would guess that maybe it's the way Outlook or Exchange is setup that triggers the glitch with the update. According to your statement about some machines not being affected, you may need to find out what is different on the ones that were affected, "our machines have almost identical software setups".
    Unfortunately when you are dealing with a large number of computers there are always going to be differences because each person adds a really "neat" program to the computer they use most and then again it could be malware of some sort.
    Good luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •