5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Patch Watch Update: Some out-of-cycle patches

PATCH WATCH

Patch Watch Update: Some out-of-cycle patches

By Susan Bradley

It's never good news when Microsoft issues updates outside the regular Patch Watch cycle. This week, several patches appeared unexpectedly. Most are for servers, but standalone PCs might see at least one of these irregular patches.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/patch-watch-update-some-out-of-cycle-patches/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-11-19 at 18:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding KB3000850, after installing it on an Asus UX21A ultrabook, the machine would no longer boot, unless there was a USB stick present.

After some wrangling I reset the UEFI BIOS to defaults and it now appears to behave normally.

I'll hold off installing this on my other machines pending more feedback.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In our environment, we've experienced the inability to shutdown, restart, install or uninstall software after KB3000850 was installed. It has caused one or more of these issues on at least 50% of our computers so far. But not all computers are affected. My best guess as to what made the difference is in how the update was installed. On my computer, for example, it was installed overnight while I was not signed in. I'm fairly sure all the computers with issues were signed in and working when the update installed. Then the next shutdown or restart crippled the computer. These computers are all fairly new Dell Optiplex 3020 computers, including mine which has no issues with the update.