New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial - Many to One Static Email

Hi,

I'm able to successfully complete the mailmerge process by having multiple rows feed to one document using the tutorial document to test everything. Yesterday I decided to test it further by sending it to email address on office PC. When I do this it wants to generate an email for each record. What I want the process to do is still generate an email based on the account number, list all of the products in the email but always send it to one email address. So yes the email address I'm sending these accounts will always be the same and this process will involve a large number of rows out of excel. How can this be accomplished? I've attached sample code, not the actual customers. I didn't see anything in the tutorial that would help. I also can't download any tools to the machine so its not an option; not allowed. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    For some reason, you have placed the mergefield for the email address in the wrong table - it should be in the first one (as the tutorial shows); that is why you're getting multiple emails. Aside from that, your output replicates the same Customer Name, Account Number & Code for every record, which seems overkill. Furthermore, you have added the RunMerge macro to both documents. It should only have been added to the Test.doc.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

So I'm suppose to place the email address in the "Email Merge Mail Document"? As for the Customer Name, Account Number and Code, I agree that it is overkill but I couldn't get it to stop repeating using the *\ Charformat and only have the product field repeating. I left it alone because it wasn't a deal breaker.

I initially wanted it to display like this...

Layout.PNG

The reason why I want to send them individually by account number to the same mailbox is because the mailbox is shared among 18 people who can take turns taking care of a particular account. Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryblue View Post
    So I'm suppose to place the email address in the "Email Merge Mail Document"?
    No. It would really help if you paid attention. The tutorial clearly shows where the field is to go. You chose to do something different. Look at table & field arrangement in your Test.doc and compare that to the field structure in the tutorial.
    As for the Customer Name, Account Number and Code, I agree that it is overkill but I couldn't get it to stop repeating using the *\ Charformat and only have the product field repeating. I left it alone because it wasn't a deal breaker.
    The *\ Charformat switch has nothing to do with this. All you would need to do to get your desired format is to configure the first table in the Test.doc as per the attached and send the emails in HTML format (only possible if you have an email client like Outlook that supports it installed). If you send the emails as plain text, you lose control over the tab alignments and would have to substitute with multiple spaces instead, but even that wouldn't be entirely satisfactory. The alternative is to have the Customer Name, Account Number & Code arranged vertically, each one below the other, instead of horizontally.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Berryblue (2014-11-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yes my apologies, I do remember seeing it. I didn't have access to your tutorial earlier when responding but I'll go back and review it once again and fix the error. Thank you so much for explaining and providing me with the attached file. I'll work on it. I'm trying to do 10 things at the same time as we are short people and hence the reason for the automation. Its the first time I've ever played with the mail merge so this is a huge learning curve for me. I'm going to take my time this weekend and go over your tutorial slowly and hopefully uninterrupted as I suspect I missed a big piece based on your response.