Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics does not show bec. of low sys. resources. (2000)

Hi.

I use a worksheet that shows the layout of booths in an exposition. The worksheet has an inserted picture of a map, text boxes, auto shapes, fill colors, borders, etc. The size of the worksheet is 69KB. My computer's operating system is Windows 98 and has 128MB of RAM.

My problem is that while I am editing the worksheet, I encounter 'Not enough system resources to display' and basically can not view the inserted picture and text boxes in the worksheet. This usually happens while I am changing the zoom/magnification level. The only other prgrams running are Outlook, Windows Explorer, and some tray icons (ICQ, Norton Anti-Virus Protect, & Task Scheduler).

What's going on and how do I fix it?

Henry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphics does not show bec. of low sys. resources. (2000)

Hi Henry,

I would think that 128 megs of ram should be plenty for what you are trying to do. However, if you press Ctrl-Alt-Del one time it will display all the tasks that are running. You can then shut the unnecessary programs down from there which might help your spreadsheet to run.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting a reply. Yes, I do check Ctrl+Alt+Del and my computer's not running much. Something else is going on that I can't quite figure out. Someone suggested reinstalling Windows 98, but that's a bit too radical for me.

Henry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might well be surprised at how much memory some of the programs you mentioned in your previous post might be using. Sometimes I will open the resource meter, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, and watch the change in resources as I shut particular programs down.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike. I think I have the culprit. The Excel worksheet I'm working on seems to be the one using up all the system resources. I have to turn off Excel and then boot it up again so that my system will run properly.