Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question WinPatrol using 100% of my cpu every 33 seconds...

Is anybody else seeing anything like this?

A couple of months back, my desktop (XP Pro, SP3 up to date, 2.4GHz P4, 2 MB memory) seemed unusually sluggish. Task Manager showed a distinct 100% cpu peak about every 33 seconds and pointed its finger at WinPatrol. WP also does cpu peaks of 5-15% several times regularly inside those 33 second intervals.

I am not seeing the 100% cpu peaks on my W7 laptop, a 3.0GHz dual core, so I know that my problem may be due to XP or my hardware. I have been corresponding with the WP folks, but they haven't found the cause, and, in fact, tell me that I am the only person in the universe who is seeing this happen.

Well, am I ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I neglected in my earlier post to mention that when I see all of those cpu peaks and then disable WinPatrol, those big ol' peaks go away... and come back immediately when I bring WP up again.

Will this remain forever as one of the Mysteries of the Universe?

Thanks
    Try dumbing down WinPatrol, have it do nothing but exist - see if the spikes return. Sometimes when any one of my many monitoring and/or protection programs "go crazy," I numb it down, bring back one function at a time until I find out the exact problem. Hope you find the cause, and then the cure
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I can do that...

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Try dumbing down WinPatrol, have it do nothing but exist - see if the spikes return. Sometimes when any one of my many monitoring and/or protection programs "go crazy," I numb it down, bring back one function at a time until I find out the exact problem. Hope you find the cause, and then the cure
    As far as I can tell, Roland, WinPatrol does not allow selecting which functions run, so there isn't any way to dumb it down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
    As far as I can tell, Roland, WinPatrol does not allow selecting which functions run, so there isn't any way to dumb it down.
    You're right, I was thinking of Task Catcher, the right arm of WinPatrol.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i would guess that something bad is doing something and win patrol is on guard protecting you

i have had a couple of peaks when i did certain things but they went away and stayed off until occasionally wp later asked if i wanted to allow a change

Quote Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
    Is anybody else seeing anything like this?

A couple of months back, my desktop (XP Pro, SP3 up to date, 2.4GHz P4, 2 MB memory) seemed unusually sluggish. Task Manager showed a distinct 100% cpu peak about every 33 seconds and pointed its finger at WinPatrol. WP also does cpu peaks of 5-15% several times regularly inside those 33 second intervals.

I am not seeing the 100% cpu peaks on my W7 laptop, a 3.0GHz dual core, so I know that my problem may be due to XP or my hardware. I have been corresponding with the WP folks, but they haven't found the cause, and, in fact, tell me that I am the only person in the universe who is seeing this happen.

Well, am I ?