New Lounger
    Thanks

Instructions for textboxes

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that serves as a form with numerous textboxes that the user fills in. Due to limited space, the labels are inside the textbox as the default value which is overwritten by the user's entry. I would like to add some instructions on what to enter but I have no place to put them.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get users to input the correct data?

Thank you
    Nicole

Thanks
    Nicole,

How about something like a Mouseover message that appears like a comment to a cell. Using a rectangular shape formatted to the way you want with the desired text added, move it next to the textbox. Using the Selection Pane (Ribbon: Home > Find and Select), make it not visible. Place the following code in the sheets module. When you move the cursor over the text box, the message will appear the disappear when the cursor is moved off the text box.

HTH
    Maud

mouseover.png

Code:
    Private Sub TextBox1_MouseMove(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single)
    If X > 5 And X < TextBox1.Width - 5 And Y > 5 And Y < TextBox1.Height - 5 Then
        ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Rectangle 1")).Visible = True
    Else:
        ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Rectangle 1")).Visible = False
    End If
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Nicole545 (2014-11-21)

Thanks
    Nicole,

As an alternative, you could also use a mouseover to display a message in the status bar.

Maud

mouseover2.png

Code:
    Private Sub TextBox1_MouseMove(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single)
    If X > 5 And X < TextBox1.Width - 5 And Y > 5 And Y < TextBox1.Height - 5 Then
        Application.StatusBar = "If the patient has a hyphenated last name, " & _
        "use only the name after the hyphen."
    Else:
        Application.StatusBar = ""
    End If
    End Sub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Nicole545 (2014-11-21)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Nicole

If you used merged cells (with box outlines) for your spreadsheet 'form', then you can use data validation to display a message whenever the User clicks into that particular location. I prefer this to using cell comments, which could also be used to display a message.

zeddy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zeddy For This Useful Post:

Nicole545 (2014-11-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Zeddy,

Thank you for your solution but I am using actual textboxes as a form. Something to keep in mind.

Maubibe,

I was attempting to put a cell comment in the cell beneath the textbox but it was not reliable that the person entering data on my form would pass over the cell. I was not aware you could create a mouse over effect with a text box. You learn something new every day. Both of your solutions are perfect but I prefer to use the one with the comment in a box.

Thank you so much
    Nicole