2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get rid of this - Help

I am hoping that this is the correct place to post this, if not I apologize.

Here is my issue. I've tried multiple things but can get rid of it. I tried to install Deep Freeze, a program
    that was mentioned in a different post. I tried the Standard version. http://www.faronics.com/products/dee...ze/enterprise/
    During the install something went wrong and I couldn't activate the program.
    Don't know what happened. The issue is that it seems to be a partial install. Everytime I start up my computer
    I get a small pop up asking me to Activate Deep Freeze with a little box to put in an activation code. When
    I do it won't take it.

My first reaction was to simply uninstall it. I have Revo Pro and when I opened it Revo doesn't find the program.
    Same with Windows Control Panal/Program and Features/uninstall and it doesn't show there as well. As a last resort
    I went into C/Programs86/Fabronics and tried to delete the folder. Won't let me. I get "The action can't be
    completed becasue the folder or a file in it is open in another program". I can't seem to get this program to
    run under Administrator hoping in that way I can get rid of it. I tried to delete it in Safe Mode, same "The action
    can't......". I tried changing the name of the folder and then delete it. Same thing. I tried to do a System Restore,
    same thing. Nothing I've tried works.

So this folder seems to be undeletable for me. I'm hoping that by deleting this folder in C will stop the program
    although I am only guessing and hoping.

I don't know if there is a program out there that can do this. I would appreciate any knowledge sent my
    way to try and get rid of this thing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you had a look in Task Manager to see if you can stop the process in there.

Process Explorer is another program you can use to remove it if it's listed.

Click on Options and ensure Verify Signatures is checked then hover over VirusTotol.com and check its box - this will give you a lot more info.

Thanks
    You could also try a System Restore to a date prior to the install.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    System restore already been tried Jerry - end of second paragraph in opening post - but it could be worth trying the restore points in Safe Mode.

Thanks
    Would WinPatrol's disable/kill/remove function help here?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    The program you need is Unlocker. It adds an entry to the Context Menu. Right click on the folder to be deleted. If it cant be unlocked it will give you the option to delete the file at boot, before anything can start and block the delete. (Some AV programs may flag it during the install because of the way it works, but its safe so ignore the warning)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

To get rid of the rest of the junk, you can use the Registry Editor and search through it for left over keys, which is, I have to say, a long and tedious process as it will only find one key at a time. An alternative is to use Registrar Registry Manager Lite free Home version which will find all the keys in one pass. This is a powerful program and it should be treated with respect. Always backup the Registry or set a Restore Point before using it and check what you are removing before pulling the trigger. If you delete the wrong thing, it can brick the OS.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...ager_lite.html

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would re-install Deep Freeze, then you should be able to remove it.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. System Restore in Safe Mode didn't work either. I tried Process Explorer to try to get it stopped but that won't work either. Avast is recognizing it as a rootkit but I'm not so sure. Malwarebytes Pro also does the same thing. I'm not so sure it even is a rootkit. I've run GMER and ComboFix and those don't show it as one. I'll give unlocker a try but I've already started backing things up. I think in the end I will just do a complete restore. Oh well.
    Last edited by James S; 2014-11-23 at 08:55.

Thanks
    Deep Freeze IS using rootkit technology benignly to hook itself before the OS starts and, as you've found out, is deeply resistant to the usual methods of removing programs. That's the whole point... if it was easy to get rid of then kids all over the world would be removing it from locked-down library/school computers.

Does the Deep Freeze icon (a Polar Bear's head) show in the Notification Area down by the clock? (You may need to 'Show all icons'.)

If so then you may be able to use the following instructions: How do I uninstall Deep Freeze?

If you cannot see the icon then, sorry, I don't know what else to do except do a complete restore (which is what we had to do with our library PC's when we had the occasional problem with Deep Freeze).

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A restore didn't work. As I mentioned it was a failed install so not all the files are there. I was able to disable it but I don't have either one of the files to uninstall. I've tried everything. Thanks for your suggestion Rick, much appreciated. I am going to reformate and then re-install Win7.

Please close this thread and thanks everyone.