New Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to move Eudora OSE files among computers and preserve folders' organization?

I have Eudora OSE installed on several of my computers with the same setup/account settings. I leave all messages on the server so that Eudora OSE can download them on different computers.
    I move some messages (actually quite a large number) from Inbox to different folders for better organization. I want to have the same folders organization on all my computers without going through the laborious process of manually moving them to the right folders again. If I just copy the profile file from one computer to another, Eudora OSE recognizes it by properly displaying them. But then it starts to download all messages from the server again and I end up with duplicate messages in my Inbox which defeats the purpose of messages organization.
    When I used classic Eudora I did that (copied the main email file between computers) and everything worked as I wanted. Eudora OSE seems to not recognize that a message in the profile's Mail file has already been downloaded and downloads it again. Is there a way to do what I want in Eudora OSE? If it is not just copying of the profile file then what it is?

Thank you,

Isa Ten.

Thanks
    I'm at work, if you want, when I get home, and get logged on, I can give you the directories involving Eudora OSE. Is your Eudora mimicking Mozilla Thunderbird? Or, another email program? Or, is Eudora OSE the only email program? The reason I'm asking is: my Eudora OSE mimicked my Mozilla Thunderbird; su casa, mi casa, tbird directories belong also to my Eudora.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure I know what mimicking is although I can guess.
    I just installed Eudora OSE and changed account settings with my server settings.
    Then I copied C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\ Profiles, renamed it as MyEudoraMail (my common name on all computers where I want to run Eudora OS) and changed links in the server settings and Local Folders to the new location. After that I copied MyEudoraMail from one computer to another, replacing the old one.
    Now when I check email on the second computer the first time after the copy Eudora OSE (actually Thunderbird)downloads again all files from the server. It looks to me that in copying MyEudoraMail I missed the file where Thunderbird keeps notes which email was already downloaded and I do not know which file that is.
    Should I have copied the whole C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird folder? Besides Profiles it contains just two small <1KB files: profiles.ini and registry.dat. It looks to me that they are too small to keep the list of all already downloaded email (MyEudoraMail contains more than 12000 email).
    I will try to copy C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird tomorrow when I get to the computers where I use Eudora OSE.
    Meanwhile I'd appreciate any help that you can provide.
    Thank you very much.
    Isa Ten

Thanks
    Your solution should have worked, I think. However, when I look at my Eudora OSE, it didn't copy anything over from Tbird - that can I see. There are two main sections for tbird:
    C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Thunderbird
    C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird
    Anytime you desire to "mirror" tbird, both of the above have to be copied one right after the other, before doing anything else. I think you missed copying the local directory, you did only the roaming.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Isa Ten (2014-11-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know (I think) where in the account settings to tell tbird where to look for the files from \AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird. I do not know how to tell it where to look for data in \AppData\Local\Thunderbird.
    Perhaps I just need to leave them there and copy from the main computer to other computers in \AppData\Local\Thunderbird folder, not in the folders in other locations as would be preferable to me.

Thanks
    C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Thunderbird
    C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird
    If you want tbird to live, you have to leave the above two directories in peace.
    Eudora OSE will know where to find the files.
    In short, if you diddled like I have in the past:
    Re-install tbird, test, ensure everything is as you want it; diddle w/directories no more. Re-install Eudora OSE, ensure everything is as you want it; diddle w/directories no more.
    I think the above will work for you! Please let us know if I am wrong somewhere.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Isa Ten (2014-11-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only way I figured out how to do what I want is this.
    1. Keep all files with original names in C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles. They are different on the first and second machines.
    2. Copy the email file from this directory on the first machine to the same directory on the second machine.
    3. On the second machine rename/delete the original file on the second machine.
    4. On the second machine rename the file copied from the first machine to the name it had on the second machine.
    Now Eudora OSE does not try to download all files from the server again and has the same organization on the second machine as on the first machine.

Thanks
    Isa Ten, I think your plan will work! Keep us posted, thanks!