Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any of you folks heard of detekt?

Supposedly this program can detect surveillance spyware including government sanctioned ones. I ran it; I appear to be safe. lol

Just curious; link below (and it's open source).

https://resistsurveillance.org/

Thanks
    I'm fixing to try both HitmanPro Alert and Detekt. Let's see what happens. Good things only, I hope. I googled Detekt -- a couple of surprising and positive sources came up, that led me to give Detekt a try.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Interesting.

Will check it out on one of my workbench systems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's very new. Version 1.0 only released three days ago.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In this day and age with all that's going on, I think Government surveillance is a good thing - it's just that the Intelligence Services' jobs have been made that much harder since Snowden's revelations - keep up the good work is what I say and I don't mean Snowden.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    More power to Snowden and his ilk!
    We need to know when the authorities overstep the mark.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-11-24)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    We need to know when the authorities overstep the mark.
    So do the terrorists and those who wish to cause us harm.

I'm sure you would prefer a software vendor to publish a fix for a vulnerability before someone published the vulnerability in order to get some fame - Snowden was the Publisher - perhaps not for fame, but he let everyone know about the "vulnerability" and seriously damaged one of the tools used by those who try to keep us safe - think of that when the next atrocity happens on your home soil.

Thanks
    Time to kill this discussion Paul and Sudo. This is a technical forum, not a political one.....

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most terrorist are technology stupid; the handful of them that aren't are well known by the FEDs. The solution of spying on everyone to get just one or two possible rogues is idiotic at the very least but worse; it's just not Constitutional. Sad that way too many such as yourself Sudo15 don't mind being spied on just for the fact that they can. Maybe it's just a generation gap, but I value what our founder's intent were when they penned the Constitution. I don't really care for either of the two major parties we now have that proved what Ben Franklin tried to warn us of back in his day.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah; I'm now guilty of that too Jerry (sorry). All I wanted to know is if anyone have heard of this tool. Doesn't appear to install anything (just runs and scans; self-contained executable). It does tell you to disable your network connections before scanning but that's easy enough to do. The scan doesn't take long either.

Thanks
    I ran Detekt on one of my workbench PCs (Win7 32bit). Scan completed in a little over a minute; no problems.

I then ran it on my main Win7 64bit system; again the scan completed in little more than a minute without any problems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    jwittalka, I'll run detekt later on and report on the technologicals later on, if I get any different results than the previous poster. And, I agree - leave politics out
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I ran it on my PC and a full-screen window appeared ordering me to 'Step away from the computer and hand yourself in'.

My PC then powered down and I'm too afraid to switch it on again. Looks like I've been 'detekted'.

Thank goodness I had my passport renewed recently... I'm off! See ya!
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-11-23 at 12:36.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I ran it on my PC and a full-screen window appeared ordering me to 'Step away from the computer and hand yourself in'.

My PC then powered down and I'm too afraid to switch it on again. Looks like I've been 'detekted'.

Excellent

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post

Just because you're (figuratively speaking) paranoid doesn't' mean they are not out to get you. lolol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast