Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot open zip files

My Windows 8.1 computer will not open zip files as well as several other types of files. They all go to Adobe reader which says it cannot open that type of file. I have tried the "open with" option but none of programs listed work either. My old Windows XP computer opened all types of files with no problems. What program am I missing? I cannot understand why Win 8 would not default to a compatible program. Any suggestions?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems you have set Adobe to be the default app for zip files. To set the application to use, hold Shift down and right click on a zip file. Select Open with > Choose default program and choose File Explorer / Windows Explorer as the application.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    PaulT, I wonder if user would benefit from 7-zip. I added it to my Windows 7, and although I let the zip associations remain with the built-in Windows 7 zip program, I can use 7-zip to create passworded files.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use 7zip portable. The interface is a little clunky but it beats the Windows zip manager hands down. For that reason I recommend leaving the zip settings standard and using Explorer most of the time.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    It seems you have set Adobe to be the default app for zip files. To set the application to use, hold Shift down and right click on a zip file. Select Open with > Choose default program and choose File Explorer / Windows Explorer as the application.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks, I tried what you suggested, it then opens a " View Downloads - Internet Explorer" window. When I click on the file and then "open" nothing happens

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to set the default program to Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I think he was hoping to be able to click on a zip file found somewhere out there on the internet, and/or having just downloaded a zip file, to be able to click on it. PaulT, you're correct, tis better to file associate ZIP with explore.exe, Windows Explorer.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Explorer is not listed as an option, only Internet Explorer and several others. This also occurs with "tiff" files. The files that I am trying to open are stored on my computer and were transferred from my old Win XP computer which opened them with no issues.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmnaz View Post
    Windows Explorer is not listed as an option, only Internet Explorer and several others. This also occurs with "tiff" files...
    Right-click on a zip file, then click (left) on "Open with > Choose default program...". An "Open With" dialog will open which might/might not have "Windows Explorer" listed. The "Always use the selected program..." checkbox should be ticked. Click on "Windows Explorer" or click the "Browse" button to browse to C:\Windows\explorer.

Once you have done this you should be able to open zip files simply by double-clicking them.

Same with other file-types, e.g.: you might want to open tiff files with IrfanView.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    As it's Win 8, Windows Explorer is called File Explorer, is that option on your list?