2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

8.1 RT ''you cant install anything on it''?

I went to PC world today to buy one of these.
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...75694-pdt.html

The other half wanted a tablet to play music on during children's partys, and we wanted to put Win Amp on it. The guy said we couldn't do that, it wont allow you to install anything onto it except for things in the Microsoft Store, its not like ordinary 8.1 he said.

Whats the story guys? The man in the shop said it was very limited to what it can do, even more so than an android tablet. I have to admit guys I'm not really convinced, is this the case? He said I wouldn't be able to download any security programs or anything onto it.

We ended up buying one of these instead at three times the price.
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...splay~RR#cat-0

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But it's not RT on the HP Stream 7, so you can install desktop applications. See comments from purchasers who have done so: HP Stream 7 First Impressions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows 8 and 8.1 RT tablets don't have an Intel x86 processor. All windows desktop apps are written for Windows-x86. The RT tablets have ARM processors, and are binary incompatible with x86 desktop programs.

The Microsoft Store apps actually come in two versions, one for the x86 tablets and PCs, and one for the RT tablets.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So even if I bought an 8.1 tablet I still wouldn't be able to put apps on the desktop?

I phoned PC world and they confirmed the HP Stream to be 8.1 and not RT, the Asus is going back, it refuses to install a lot of windows updates, something about secure boot being enabled.

I'm thinking about one of these,

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/S...&puid=66e0ef06

Basically my other half does childrens parties and she was using a Nexus 7 for the music via winamp but after updating to Android lollipop the thing has become pretty useless, slow , sluggish and unreliable. So, we need a new tablet and thought 8.1 would be better as all our other computers are 8.1.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    So even if I bought an 8.1 tablet I still wouldn't be able to put apps on the desktop?
    No, you would; as purchasers confirmed.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are confusing the 8.1 with the RT.

A Windows 8.1 Pro tablet with an Intel x86 processor will accept Desktop programs such as Firefox, Thunderbird, or Microsoft Office 2010.

A Windows 8.1 RT tablet with an ARM processor will only accept Microsoft Store apps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys, I think we are going to go for the stream, its cheap and cheerful and should suit our needs. I just need to find a decent music player app for it as I don't think WinAmp do one for Windows.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There hasn't been a new version this year, but it's still out there: Download Winamp (for Windows)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The desktop version is all I can get, its going to be a bit of a task using it on a small 7'' screen. The android version was pretty good.