New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win 8.1 does not see external drives (sometimes)

For some time I have been using a WD external for backups and storage. Now for some reason, sometimes my computer does not see either the WD drive or a HP external DVD drive. usually if I unplug(the power) and turn it back on again it will see it and work properly. For many months after getting this laptop, I had NO problems at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    From time to time, I have had the same problem, formerly with Windows 8, and with Windows 7. A couple of times, I could only format the external drive again, and continue. Has the forced-format happened to you also?
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-23 at 09:42.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    It could be something as simple as its lost the drive letter. If its visible in Disk Manager but it has no drive letter, giving it one will often solve the problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-11-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume that the external drives are USB drives? When plug in a USB drive, and it doesn't show on Windows Explorer, which isn't that unusual, I go to Disk Management, and see if it shows there, without a drive letter. If it does assign it a drive letter, and when you get back to Windows Explorer, you should be able to see it.

If you can't see it in Disk Manager use Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, and see if you can see it there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never reformatted the ex. drive because I have several things I do not want to move or lose. A lot of music file and other large files I don't care to reconstruct or move.

Thanks
    JerryWSL, you might need something powerful like Acronis Disk Manager 11 or 12. I think the Trial version just might be all you need. I have the license version of 11 & 12, along with Acronis TIH 15 & before.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/