Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Setting up wireless printing

I hope this is in the right place.

We have two Win7 PCs wired to our router. Each PC is wired to its own printer via USB cable. We don't share anything between the PCs nor with any WiFi devices that use the router. One of the printers is wireless capable. I would like to set it up so we can print to it from laptops and other devices that connect to the router via WiFi. But I don't want to do any sharing between any of the PCs or laptops or other devices.

What is the best way to do this?

The printer manual says it can handle wireless along with a USB connection but is murky beyond that.

Will wireless devices see the printer like they see the router?

Am I making this too difficult?

Thanks!

Thanks
    To answer this as best as possible we would need more info, i.e. the make/model of printer, what OS(s) (and versions) the laptops run (Windows? OS X? Linux?) and what other wireless devices use the router (tablets? ereaders? phones?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ggeinec View Post
    ...What is the best way to do this?...Will wireless devices see the printer like they see the router?...
    Provided the wireless printer is connecting to the router your wireless devices should be able to see it and connect to it.

For example: on a Win7 laptop you would go to Control Panel/Devices and Printers/Add a printer.

If the printer is not connecting to the router you should look up the printer's model on the manufacturer's website and look for instructions to follow to get it to connect.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    To answer this as best as possible we would need more info, ... snipped ...
    Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response.

The printer is a Canon LBP6230wd monochrome laser printer. All desktops and laptops are running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Other devices are Android 4.2, 4.3 smartphones and tablets.

The user manual describes several ways to set up the wireless function. What is throwing me is that the instructions constantly refer to a network and I don't have one set up as such. I don't know much about networking and I'm paranoid about security and sharing a network with kids' devices (if you know what I mean).

So our three desktop PCs are cabled into the router with all sharing turned off, and the laptops and Android devices connect via WiFi to the router. The printer is hard-wired to one desktop via USB.

I would like the laptops and Android devices to be able to access the printer via WiFi.

I'm trying to determine if this is as simple as just turning on and configuring wireless on the printer or if I have to 'build a network'.

Thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Provided the wireless printer is connecting to the router your wireless devices should be able to see it and connect to it.

... snipped ...
    Hi Coochin,

Thanks for your response.

So, if I can get the printer to connect to the router via WiFi that should be enough for the laptops and Android devices to see it and connect to it?

I won't have to 'build a network' or configure sharing in Windows on the laptops or anything like that - just add printers and printer drivers on each laptop? (Canon has an app to cover printing from Android devices.)

Thanks for your input.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I just have the one Epsom printer but is physically installed on two Win 7 laptops - primarily because their purchase was a few months apart, but during the set up I had to opt for either a wired or wireless connection while wired up for the installation.

The set up found a number of SSIDs and I had to confirm mine.

The printer Control Panel should have a Set up option where you may have to enter the router's password for it to connect wirelessly to your router and printers tend to prefer computers to have alphanumeric names for ease of ID'ing - so Epsom have told me.

In All Programs/Cannon folder it may include Network Set up which will take you through its wizard without having to do a full reinstall again to opt for a wireless connection - but even after setting that up, you will still be able to use it wired.

Thanks
    ...So, if I can get the printer to connect to the router via WiFi that should be enough for the laptops and Android devices to see it and connect to it?...
    Yes, sort of.

The question will be whether your printer can automatically connect to your router. If it can't then you will need to discover your router's "wireless local area network" (WLAN, AKA "WiFi") "key" (AKA "password").

If you cannot see the printer on any of your Windows devices then it is likely that you will need to tell the printer how to connect to your router. To do so you will need to know the router's WLAN key.

Open an administrator-level command prompt (go to Start/All Programs/Accessories then right-click on "Command Prompt" then click "Run as administrator").

Type
    ipconfig
    (enter)

look for "default gateway" and note the IP address (probably something like 192.168.1.1)

Open your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) and enter the default gateway's IP address in the address bar then press enter to access your router's web interface (you might have to enter a username/password usually admin/admin or admin/password otherwise look up your router's documentation). In the router's web interface look for "Wireless security" or similar and take note of the "key" (password). This is the key (password) you need to enter into your printer's settings menu to allow it to connect to your router. Note that the key is case-sensitive.

It's not really so hard.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    So, if I can get the printer to connect to the router via WiFi that should be enough for the laptops and Android devices to see it and connect to it?
    You may need to install the printer driver, before you can actually see it.

You need to do two things:

1. Connect the printer to the wireless network.

2. Setup the printer software on the computers / devices.

For Android devices, you will probably need this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...p.android.opal
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the router's security key isn't on the router and you don't have documentation at hand, Open Network and Sharing Centre - click on the Wireless Network Connection - Wireless Properties - Security tab - then check the box to Show characters.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What I see with a Search on Canon LBP6230wd is that it is a Copier model LBP 6230, not a Printer. The Canon LBP6230dw is a printer
    http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets...Spec_Sheet.pdf.
    That page shows Ethernet 10/100 Connectivity along with USB and Wi-Fi and that's the way I would go, connect to the Router with the Ethernet cable then install as Networked on any computers that can access the Router. Better security than Wi-Fi.

With my HP Officejet 8600 and HP Laserjet M1212, that type connection is the most reliable, wife loves it when printing recipes from the other room to the Officejet. Also, no one computer is required to be on and I can print from Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, both those wired to the Router and those connecting Wi-Fi to the Router. Haven't gotten around to finding drivers for Android yet, may not exist except maybe for ePrint and don't want that.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-11-23 at 17:54.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    What I see with a Search on Canon LBP6230wd is that it is a Copier model LBP 6230, not a Printer. The Canon LBP6230dw is a printer
    http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets...Spec_Sheet.pdf.
    That page shows Ethernet 10/100 Connectivity along with USB and Wi-Fi and that's the way I would go, connect to the Router with the Ethernet cable then install as Networked on any computers that can access the Router. Better security than Wi-Fi.

With my HP Officejet 8600 and HP Laserjet M1212, that type connection is the most reliable, wife loves it when printing recipes from the other room to the Officejet. Also, no one computer is required to be on and I can print from Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, both those wired to the Router and those connecting Wi-Fi to the Router. Haven't gotten around to finding drivers for Android yet, may not exist except maybe for ePrint and don't want that.
    Good catch on the transposed dw - wd. And thanks for your input.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Looks like I have some playing around to do over the holidays.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome, have fun.

Thanks
    Hey everybody, related question. My Brother HL-1440 parallel port/usb port is hooked up to the desktop. I shared the printer. Get this: Wifey's Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 [OS 4?]. I downloaded something called Printer [freebie foundation, had to buy the Pro addition] Whatever. After answering a few Qs, it will print a document from its card or extCard - all wireless. I have two Acer Aspire laptops w/Windows 7 Pro. ?Am I close to being able to send instructions, via hard-wire and/or wireless, to the desktop, which then sends the instructions to the printer? Added: Lots of highschoolers load up something called HotShield onto available desktops/laptops; then their smartDevices go to town. Would that be something I need?
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-03 at 16:31.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/