Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing 8.1 on Win7 PC (special crcumstances)

I have a Win7 PC purchased before the birth of our first child. There were complications so I never got around to cracking the box. Things have settled down (everyone's fine), so now I can set-up my new toy.

I will have to update in stages: 1) upgrade Win7 to Win8 Pro via DVD, 2) upgrade to Win 8.1 via the MS store (I assume).

Questions:

1. The PC will be running a many months outdated version of Win7 - will I need to do any prep on this box before I install Win8 Pro?
    2. Once I install Win 8 Pro, what prep steps will I need to take before upgrading to 8.1?
    3. Are there any issues at either stage of this process that I need to be aware of?

If someone can point me to a link or book that you believe address any of these issues, that would be great as well.

Also, any best practices or recommendations for a new install would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrodxi View Post
    Questions:

1. The PC will be running a many months outdated version of Win7 - will I need to do any prep on this box before I install Win8 Pro?
    2. Once I install Win 8 Pro, what prep steps will I need to take before upgrading to 8.1?
    3. Are there any issues at either stage of this process that I need to be aware of?
    1. No. No point in updating Win7 before upgrading to Win8.

2. The Win8.1 upgrade might not appear in the "App Store" until you have installed Win8 updates available from Windows Update.

3. The Win8.1 upgrade involves about 4GB download. Also, after the Win8.1 upgrade there will be quite a number of Windows Updates, about 1.5GB to 2GB. So expect that the time required for download & installation will be several hours depending on your Internet connection's speed.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Nimrodxi (2014-11-22)

Thanks
    You might want to create a Win8.1 installation DVD. See this thread: get Windows 8.1 genuine download.

The Windows 8.1 installation DVD should allow you to format the Win7 partition and install a clean copy of Win8.1 without having to mess around with updating/upgrading Win8.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Nimrodxi (2014-11-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    You might want to create a Win8.1 installation DVD. See this thread: get Windows 8.1 genuine download.

The Windows 8.1 installation DVD should allow you to format the Win7 partition and install a clean copy of Win8.1 without having to mess around with updating/upgrading Win8.
    By this I assume my Windows 8 Pro Upgrade product key will work to validate the 8.1 install even though I never installed/activated my copy of Win8 Pro, correct?

This will be much easier.

(Re: your sig - always heard it as PEBKAC - "Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair")
    Soon: Core i7-3770 (3.4 GHz), 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
    Currently: Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Thanks
    By this I assume my Windows 8 Pro Upgrade product key will work to validate the 8.1 install even though I never installed/activated my copy of Win8 Pro, correct?...
    I would expect so.

Thanks
    How long ago did you buy the laptop? You might want to run Microsoft's Windows7-to-Windows8 compatability checker for software, assuming you want to keep certain programs going. And, be aware that in some circumstances, migrating can involve some detailed chipset[s] & etc drivers work. Maybe not for you, just check with a couple of hardware sources if you run into trouble. Perhaps consider making a complete image backup of your present Windows 7 before launching into going-to-Windows 8.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a desktop model: HP Pavilion h9-1182 with a Core i7. I'm pretty sure this will run Win8.x. I will be making an image of my old desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The article you referenced mentioned DVD, USB key, or ISO file, and I read somewhere else that the ISO file was preferable. Any opinion on the matter?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If I may, I always get the .iso file as it can be used in a CD/DVD Burning program to create an exact duplicate of the original disc when that disc is not available. I even make .iso images of discs when I anticipate having to make copies. A free CD/DVD Burning program that works good is CDBurningXP, even works on Win8.x.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I load the .iso file onto a USB stick or put it on my OneDrive to access from there?

Thanks
    Also, I would highly recommend making a backup image of your Windows 7 installation before attempting the upgrade. There's no way to go back if the Windows 8 install goes bad unless you have this image.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I load the .iso file onto a USB stick or put it on my OneDrive to access from there?
    Yes, you can store the .iso file on any media with sufficient capacity to hold it, will be over 3 or 4GB.

If by 'load' you mean to boot to that USB drive and start the install, there's procedures for that, I haven't had a need to do so yet.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a tool called Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool that you can use to write a bootable version of the .iso file to either a USB device, or a DVD. It's great for USB devices, but I would just use the burn to DVD option for DVDs.

You can download the tool from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...-download-tool

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

Nimrodxi (2014-11-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...oad-online-faq

This should help with compatibility.

I used it to upgrade to W8 on a very old HP laptop running Vista. Apart from a few drivers needing installed it worked a treat.
    Last edited by robgil; 2014-11-25 at 18:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Stopped my a Microsoft Retail Store today, and asked them about upgrading directly from 7 to Win 8.1 using a Win 8 Product Key and said I couldn't do that, that I would have to upgrade to 8 and then 8.1. Guess I'll need to wade through the documentation in the Microsoft site and see if they address this directly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast