New Lounger
    Thanks

Suggestions for consolidating and organizing photos?

I'm about to set up a new computer and in the process want to collect and organize my existing digital photos. Photos exist on my computer, my wife's computer, her phone, my phone, my camera, and in various online accounts.

Any suggestions on software/services/processes to assist with this?

Specifically:

1. Software to organize and edit photos (amateur level) - only light edits/touch-ups - more interested in organizing.
    2. Something to identify duplicate images (this will be really important since I know I've got multiple copies of the same image with different file names many times over)
    3. Any recommendations/warnings on online photo sharing sites/methods

The new box will be running Win8.1 Pro.
    Soon: Core i7-3770 (3.4 GHz), 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
    Currently: Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Thanks
    Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with Picasa, it shows your photos well and has some good editing features. Many recommend Irfanview (though I've never used it). For more serious editing, there's the Gimp (a Photoshop like piece of software, without the PS price (it's free!).

However, you really need to decide on a system to organise your photos first rather than assuming any software can do it for you. I can tell you my system, which started in the 70s and I've used ever since for both my scanned photos and my then my digital ones.

Try Googling for software for finding duplicate pics - there's a few about most of which cost and one might well do what you want (I've never really bothered with this).

You could use Picasa itself for online, or Flikr (I use both to share photos with others). I've also used Dropbox to share with others and I think OneDrive can be used similarly. Some think that these companies look at your pics for their own reasons - it's up to you to decide how much of an issue this is for you.

p.s. if you use Picasa switch of the facial recognition. It's very good but it becomes tedious if you have lots of people in your photos as it tries to flag every single one even if you have no idea who they are!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

daydreamer (2015-04-10)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for Picasa.
    +10 for turn off face recognition. What a pain that is.

I keep all my photos on my computer and have them backed up to an external USB hard disk. If I want to share photos I upload lower resolution versions.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Assuming Picasa will actually work completely offline, I'll give it a look. I'd also be interested in your organization system. I'm leaning toward a chronological system, YYYY\YYMMDD-<Subject/Event>-##.jpg, etc.

An article on PCWorld recommended "Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder" but the software was last updated in October 2012, so I'm still looking.

http://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I plan to make my desktop the "source of truth" for my photo collection with an external HD backup and an online backup (leaning toward Backblaze).

Also leaning toward using OneDrive for sharing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrodxi View Post
    Assuming Picasa will actually work completely offline, I'll give it a look. I'd also be interested in your organization system. I'm leaning toward a chronological system, YYYY\YYMMDD-<Subject/Event>-##.jpg, etc.
    My organisation system pre-dates my digital cameras so I have just used a variation of that. I'm in the process of scanning all my negs and slides. Essentially, I have a folder for each of my cameras (even ones I no longer have). I separate my trannies from my negs as well (not needed for digital of course). The film scans have folders for each roll of film I use, so each folder has up to 36 pics. My digital cameras are Nikons, and the default folder name is a number - 1 ,2, 3 etc. which increments every time I download to the PC. I've changed that to reflect the camera name - 500001 or 900001 (for D50 and D90 respectively). The number of pics in each folder is dependant on when I download them (it varies from about 10 to over 400). This is equivalent to naming the folders as dates - if I changed to that they would be of the form yyyymmdd so they sort chronologically. However, I list all my photos in an Access database, so I use that to find specific dates (I export the Exif data from the photos into the database).

The other thing I do (which is dead easy in Picasa) is to tag each photo with its contents, so naming each person in the pic. I also use the Geotag facility which allows you to put the lat/long into the data and plot it on Google maps. For interest it also allows you to change the date when the photo was taken and as I know the dates I took most of my photos, I use that to add the date to my scans.

The most important thing here is to decide on a system and stick to it. Note that if I make a copy of a particular pic (e.g. redcing its size to upload) then it stays in teh same folder (or perhaps a subfolder) and a suffix is added, e.g. DSC1234.jpg is the original, changed copies will be called DSC1234a.jpg, DSC1234b.jpg etc. I don't rename them or their folders to reflect their contents (that way madness ensues!). I use tagging for that. Note too that you can create albums in Picasa so you can have pics from different folders in one place (they are not moved, just put together as a list which you can upload to Picasa albums). This isn't so easy using Dropbox/onedrive).

Hope this helps - I would be interested in what system you came up with. (Sorry it's a bit long as well!)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ACDSee Pro is a program I've been using for almost a decade. A real strong toolbox of features that are useful daily. The most direct competition is Lightbox, and I prefer ACDSee over Lightbox by a fairly wide margin. It will cost you about $90 if you buy before Nov 30.

Its strength has always been in organization and management (naming, tracking, tagging, searching, folder management, duplicate finder). The batch process are particularly nice for renaming and resizing a group of pictures. It recognizes RAW from most cameras, and will automatically import when you connect the camera to the computer. It will upload to a variety of online photo services, ftp, prepare pictures for emailing, burn to optical disc, etc.

It has also evolved into an excellent photo editor such that I rarely use Photoshop. The original of any photo you edit is preserved so that you can always revert to the original.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Suggestions for consolidating and organizing photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrodxi View Post
    I'm about to set up a new computer and in the process want to collect and organize my existing digital photos. Photos exist on my computer, my wife's computer, her phone, my phone, my camera, and in various online accounts.

Any suggestions on software/services/processes to assist with this?
    First, let me say that the best approach for you depends on how your brain works. For me, I think chronologically, so I store all pix that way starting with a "top" level folder called "Photos". Below that, I have a subfolder for each year.

Within these, I organize folders by date or, for trips or multi-day events, in subfolders that cover a range of dates and another level down by date. In the date folder, subfolders are used as needed to segregate discrete locales or events. IMPORTANT: For this to work and sort properly, you have to adopt a consistent format for folder names that all start with the date in yyyy-mm-dd format. Example:

• This past summer we took a trip and the photos for the entire trip are in a 2014 folder named "2014-06-15 thru 2014-07-05--AL, MS, LA, FL--Vacation 2014".

• One of the subfolders for that trip is "2014-06-20--CDT--Baton Rouge to New Orleans" (CDT represents a non-normal time zone for me).

• That folder has several subfolders for attractions we toured that day, such as "a--Louisiana State Capitol", plus one named "Originals". (The "a--" preceding the folder name is simply to force sorting in chronological order--"Originals" didn't need that because it automatically sorts last without that help.)

• All files are stored in Originals as well as in the appropriate other folder. I never edit the Originals! When I edit files, I first examine them for 90-degree rotation as needed. I rename these files by appending "_rot" to the file names. If any other edits are needed, I append "_r1" (for the first such edit; "_r2" etc. for later edits). My primary software (Zoner--see below) accommodates batch renaming with presets to append either of these or their combination ("_rot_r1") to the filenames for as many files as the user selects in a folder.

One overriding principle for me is chronological order by Date/Time Taken, so I always redate edited files to Time Taken. Of course, this only works for files that store that info so, if you pursue this approach with files that don't have that (such as scanned in from film files), you have to deal with that manually. I do it with software (see below). We also use our itinerary plans to match up to our photos, so camera clock time is important as well. I often find that it was off (either by a few minutes or by some number of time-zone hours) after we return, so I use the software to correct that as well.

I like FREE software, so my personal main photo editor and manager is Zoner. I find the free version does nearly all that I need, but they do have a pro version that does more and they offer unlimited free storage on their website and lots of tutorial info as well.

However, the free Zoner version does leave a couple of gaps in what I do so I use a other software to handle:

• First is correcting Perspective Distortion (which I believe is covered in the paid Pro version of Zoner), for which I use the free GIMP. GIMP can actually do all of the different editing and fixing one would ever need, but I find the user interface to be more difficult than Zoner. I also use GIMP to fill in some blank areas in a photo that has had Perspective Distortion correction or Horizon correction, but which doesn't have room to just crop out those blanks.

• Second is resetting the file dates/times to actual Time Taken, for which I use XnView. Note that this program provides for batch processing, allowing an entire folder to be "fixed" in one fell swoop, and it also allows setting correction amounts or actual specific times and dates.

I might add that, as time has progressed, I find myself actually editing just about every photo I take, starting with Zoner's quick edit feature, followed by its sharpening tool and blow-out reporting. So nearly all of my photos get renamed with that _r1 appendage!

I hope you find some of this useful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jhorwitz For This Useful Post:

Nimrodxi (2014-11-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Any thoughts on Windows Live Photo Gallery?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nikon digital cameras come with software called Capture NX2, and those who have it may find that it is all they need. It is such an important software package that the online (paid) tutorial source lynda.com (in which I do not have a vested interest) has an entire course of more than 80 installments just teaching it.

Those who already have a Nikon and haven't tried the Nikon software may kick themselves if they have paid for expensive programs that do much the same thing, and those who get a Nikon should try Nikon's own software first - it may save you a bundle.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Corel Aftershot and Aftershot Pro are their answer to Lightroom, and they are very favourably priced for Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

Edited to add: that was the bundle deal link, and on looking at it the Boris Graffiti deal is certainly interesting whether you need it or not. I suggest you navigate from that page to view Aftershot 2 and Aftershot 2 Pro, to have a better idea of what they are and what the differences are. It is far from clear from the ad that they are similar to Lightroom.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-11-29 at 15:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very elaborate guide. Thank you very much.

"I like FREE software, so my personal main photo editor and manager is Zoner". Went to their website and read all the comments. Several of them criticize it for false advertising, since what they are promoting is a FREE 30 DAYS trial. Is this the same Free version you are referring to?

"•Second is resetting the file dates/times to actual Time Taken, for which I use XnView." I downloaded it and tried to find the function to reset the dates, but could not find any reference to it. Could you be more specific, please?

In any case I commend you for your very detailed suggestion.