2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Show separate Excel files side-by-side

I am using Excel from Office 2010 and I need to compare data in two different Excel files. However, whenever I open the files, one window is always located under the other. If I reduce the window size and drag it to one side of the screen, the other file moves with it. This appears to be a quite recent feature, as I can recall having windows side-by-side in earlier times. I can easily switch from window to window by clicking on the thumbnails in the taskbar, but it is fairly tedious having to note an item of information before switching to the other window. I am sure this must be a fairly trivial matter, but this bear-of-little-brain is more used to working in other database worlds such as java, DB2, Informix and Oracle. Can any of you clever people out there help me please. it will save me literally hours of work!

Thanks
    Jim,

Instead of double clicking on the second file which opens it in the same instance of Excel as the first, open a new instance of Excel then open the file from either File > Open or from the recent list. Go through the start menu or an Excel icon on your desktop to open the second instance. Each instance is an independent window from the other so the can be resized individually and placed side-by-side.

Your second option is to open them in the same instance but click on the view tab > Arrange > verticle. This will put 2 windows running in the same instance of Excel side-by-side.

HTH,
    Maud

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your excellent advice, Maud. Not only did the procedure work, but I also got a nice insight into the way Excel (and probably other Office programs) work. I have had to change the way I do things a bit. Previously, I had a screen thumbnail pointing to the appropriate directory where I would double-click on the file in the list I wanted. As you point out, this invokes the same copy of Excel. When you click on the Open command in Excel, it looks first in your personal documents file. I have placed links in that directory pointing to each of the files of interest. As I have opened Excel twice, the second does not know what the first is doing. Brilliant!

Jim W.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jim,

Another way to open a new Instance of Excel is to hold down the Shift key while clicking on the Excel Icon on your task bar.
    This works if you have an Excel shortcut Pinned to the task bar I don't know if it will work if you don't and just have one instance of Excel open and try it. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs