Thanks

Trying to download Google Chrome 39 or 40

I'm finding several sources for Google Chrome 39 or 40 - web-based or standalone installs. However, whether FF or crippled Chrome itself, I cannot get any Google Chrome to download, period. Does anyone out there have a possible solution? Thanks!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Did you try download it from within "Safe mode with networking"?

Thanks
    How are you downloading the Chrome installer stub? As ChromeSetup.exe direct from https://dl.google.com or from a third-party site?

I've just downloaded and installed v39.0.2171.65 m (I can't see a v40) direct from https://dl.google.com and the download mechanism appears to be working fine.

PS - In another post it appears you are running up to 9 'protection' products (CIS/Comodo Antivirus, MBAM, HitmanPro, Avast, Avira, SUPERAntispyware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, MSE and Spybot S&D). If so then I would be surprised if you were able to download and install anything.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On good form today!

Thanks
    Rick Corbett, you're correct, I have too many alligators in the castle moat; or too many missles in the sub. I got rid of several monitors and protection programs. So far, I got ms internet explorer working fine. FF, after I did a re-install, rid itself of a couple of mis-firings. I was able to download GC39 offlline installer, installed it, appeared to get GC39 working -- it did once. Now, I have to cure GC39 of not working. Lemmis use msconfig and see if an offending alligator [or missle, pick an analogy ] surfaces.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Ok, guys, I managed to muzzle almost all of my alligators, or removed the nuclear tips off the missiles, pick whichever analogy you want. I got my ms IE back. Using Anvi Browser Repair Tool, I got my Google Chrome back. All 3 browsers are working just as they have been for months now. Having "BWN-ACTF" noradic-like monitoring, i.e., taskbar pins and notification area icons -- made it easier for me to "see all" at a glance, remove protections from almost all, restart, finally got all 3 browsers working correctly. Naturally, not defenseless at all, the various scans that take place during the week will catch any bad stuff. I plan to re-protect one program at a tlme & test.

Thanks
    All the malware and spyware software you had installed is fine....your issues are with the multiple AV's you have installed...well that's according to the list provided. {Avast, Avira, CIS/Comodo Antivirus and MSE}

It's recommended to use only 1 AV software (of your choice) as having 2 or more will cause issues. I'm surprised your system was functioning at all with all those AV's running.

Thanks
    @bassfisher6522 - The OP reported the issue was "I cannot get any Google Chrome to download, period" and it wasn't just the AV programs listed that were providing 'always on' web and file protection.

IMHO the issue is whether the malware and spyware software provides 'on demand' scanning or not (unless each and every 'protection' program also whitelists its anti-malware competitors' 'always on' scan processes).
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-11-25 at 08:02.

Thanks
    Only one firewall & antivirus program is active. Remaining AVs are simply on demand and/or scheduled scanning; nonHotMode.
    Malware programs always on: Spybot, SpywareBlaster. The rest of the malware/spyware programs are sometimes on, sometimes off. I'm testing to determine which one or two is best overall, for my computer, anyhow. Concerning whitelisting each other, I'm slowly adding the group into each one's exclusion area. That was a great idea!
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-25 at 09:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Anvi Browser Repair Tool

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Ok, guys, I managed to muzzle almost all of my alligators, or removed the nuclear tips off the missiles, pick whichever analogy you want. I got my ms IE back. Using Anvi Browser Repair Tool, I got my Google Chrome back. All 3 browsers are working just as they have been for months now. Having "BWN-ACTF" noradic-like monitoring, i.e., taskbar pins and notification area icons -- made it easier for me to "see all" at a glance, remove protections from almost all, restart, finally got all 3 browsers working correctly. Naturally, not defenseless at all, the various scans that take place during the week will catch any bad stuff. I plan to re-protect one program at a tlme & test.

Hi - let me tell you you have made someone very grateful. After a recent upgrade to BT Infinity - for US and other readers, this meant going from approx 3 meg to 40 meg broadband connection - Firefox and other browsers became quite unmanageable. Chrome was undownloadable, and, as a last resort I finished up with Safari, which ran longer before freezing. It may have been quite coincidental, but I have no way of knowing.

Today, salvation! Firefox is back to normal, Chrome is back too. Even IE seems to have improved!

I had never heard of Anvi Browser Repair Tool, but won't forget it in a hurry. Many thanks for bringing it to my attention.

George

Thanks
    rokerman39, I also used Anvi Browser Repair Tool on my Google Chrome -- it worked, then GChrome worked.
    Everyone, I see that I did not mention that earlier I had removed many Windows Updates during the process of trying to find out what was causing problems in a few areas. Using a script provided by another very fine tech poster here -- I am able to prevent Widows Updates from either force-updating post-present session & prior-following session AND from even asking if I want to download/install Widows Updates; yes, "Widows," they no longer are married to any of my Windows 7 Pro sessions.
    Mods - because of the help from other posters [and my own] this thread is SOLVED.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Only one firewall & antivirus program is active. Remaining AVs are simply on demand and/or scheduled scanning; nonHotMode.
    Malware programs always on: Spybot, SpywareBlaster. The rest of the malware/spyware programs are sometimes on, sometimes off. I'm testing to determine which one or two is best overall, for my computer, anyhow. Concerning whitelisting each other, I'm slowly adding the group into each one's exclusion area. That was a great idea!
    I agree w/ SpywareBlaster. The best A-M is Malwarebytes. I would recommend it over Spybot.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I agree w/ SpywareBlaster. The best A-M is Malwarebytes. I would recommend it over Spybot.
    Cheers, DrewWindows 10OS.jpg
    ...according to one technical source, not anymore, MBAM no longer searches for the mostly unwanted search.conduit -- HitmanPro still does. Anyway, in another thread, another tech indicated a well thought out, well configured, multi-layered defense, from router to chair sitter, is best. [I embellished some].

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Roland,

I will always agree w/ and recommend a multi-layer approach be it for 'home' or business environments. Absolutely. Even to the point of suggesting clients put themselves behind a router, for example, even, if they only have one computer.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg