Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installed Win7 64-bit VM.

What a pain. Drivers didn't even install right until I re-installed the VM upgrade based on input from someone here (not going to find that thread again) that said the VM has to be created as a 64-bit Win7 VM from the get go. I ended up having to force the VM to use the XP VDI (I have Win7 upgrade; ol' Betsy died on me a few months back and only recently found that I was allowed to use the OS for this purpose from an article that I read, I believe, from ZDNet; regardless, it worked). Still had to re-install XP again to get the upgrade to install and then there were around 3 hours of updates. lol

Now I have a 64-bit OS as a sandbox that I feel comfortable with. Happy I am. XP VM was just becoming too much a liability for my book.

Thanks
    Are you talking about Windows XP Mode? If so, I have that also within my Windows 7 Pro. Wifey and I use it to play some of our favorite games. I have some olde stuff that just might run within it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No; Talking about Win7. My host is Win8.1. I try never to use to host for browsing (some exceptions but only fully vetted sites and even that is risky) to protect it from browser drive bys. Was using WinXP as my sandbox, but, again, it was showing it's age.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well; finally got Aero to work; surprisingly not a straight forward thing to do (and it should have been; oh well).

qOiyc8.png

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday, I started getting Genuine Microsoft Advantage. I know my old system hardware doesn't match the VM no doubt. Since I'm not sure how the licensing's changed and not willing to purchase an OS license, I've retired the Win7 VM. Back to XP; oh well. Again, I was under the impression this was legit, but I do remember that XP changed the licensing so that the OS had to match the hardware. Suspect the same and don't want Uncle Bill to say I cannot use the license that I paid for for the new system (VM). lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Well; finally got Aero to work; surprisingly not a straight forward thing to do (and it should have been; oh well). qOiyc8.png
    What keystrokes did you do to make the taskbar [active, open] items "fan"?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland,

win-tab (similar to alt-tab).

Zig

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows key + Tab instead of Alt + Tab for the old style, also is included in quick launch if added as a toolbar.

Thanks
    Yesterday, I started getting Genuine Microsoft Advantage. I know my old system hardware doesn't match the VM no doubt. Since I'm not sure how the licensing's changed and not willing to purchase an OS license, I've retired the Win7 VM. Back to XP; oh well. Again, I was under the impression this was legit, but I do remember that XP changed the licensing so that the OS had to match the hardware. Suspect the same and don't want Uncle Bill to say I cannot use the license that I paid for for the new system (VM). lol

Did you activate Win7 after you installed it? M$ allows a newly installed OS to be used for 30 days, during which the OS should be activated.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, I was under the impression this was legit, but I do remember that XP changed the licensing so that the OS had to match the hardware
    That's true but it applies to the Branded OEM version that cannot be installed on any other computer than the brand it came with, usually has the brand name on the Product Key sticker. Sometimes the Product Key will work only with certain versions/models of a brand. If the Product Key mentions only OEM with no specific brand, the installation is tied to the computer it is first installed on.

The Retail or Upgrade version can be MOVED to a Replacement computer.

As a side note, I have a couple copies of Microsoft Office 2003 that are stickered for a Gateway, tried one on a Dell and it gives an error message during install that it wasn't a Gateway computer and failed.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-12-11 at 00:04.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    That's true but it applies to the Branded OEM version that cannot be installed on any other computer than the brand it came with, usually has the brand name on the Product Key sticker...
    That is simply not the case. I have many times fitted replacement motherboards to brand-name ("OEM") PCs without any problem although I have always had to re-activate Windows.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    That's true but it applies to the Branded OEM version that cannot be installed on any other computer than the brand it came with, usually has the brand name on the Product Key sticker. Sometimes the Product Key will work only with certain versions/models of a brand. If the Product Key mentions only OEM with no specific brand, the installation is tied to the computer it is first installed on.

The Retail or Upgrade version can be MOVED to a Replacement computer.

As a side note, I have a couple copies of Microsoft Office 2003 that are stickered for a Gateway, tried one on a Dell and it gives an error message during install that it wasn't a Gateway computer and failed.
    I tried to activate it and it appears I have to pay another fee. I purchased the upgrade Disk during the initial offering in the Summer of 2009 for $99 as I recall (Pro version). If I can transfer the license, then maybe I need to call M$ support to get it activated. It's a legit OS; my old MB (which I had XP on but upgraded to Win7 {if you call it an upgrade; pretty much a complete re-install which is a good thing. lolo}) died on me. Again, figured I had the OS so why not install Win7 as a VM. I use to have to call M$ support (can we say India? lol) all the time when I was re-installing OS for customers after rebuilding their OS due to un-recoverable issues such as virus attacks or other glitches (I like the Dell PCs; didn't have to do so for them. lol). I suppose the process would be similar, but I've been sort of out of this loop since 2010 (did helpdesk work the past 2 years which I got the can a few weeks back; it paid a whole lot more). Getting too old to keep up with all that's going on now, especially the rise of the smart phones. Oh well; now I'm just spieling. lol

Will try to get the Win7 OS activated later; still like my XP VM much more; faster and leaner then the Win7 VM.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    That is simply not the case. I have many times fitted replacement motherboards to brand-name ("OEM") PCs without any problem although I have always had to re-activate Windows.
    Maybe there's a special unannounced method but I've never been able to use a different brand install disc on a computer, i.e. Dell on a Gateway, Gateway on an HP, etc. Several of the brands did require re-activation of WinXP but some didn't, had the install pre-activated.

Thanks
    ...Will try to get the Win7 OS activated later...
    Don't be misled by the wording in the activation dialog; from memory it's something like "the product key you entered cannot be activated automatically".

It means you have to activate by phone by calling one of the phone numbers in the activation dialog.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well Coochin, I think I registered the OS right this time. I re-entered the product key (through the process by clicking the change product key) and it then confirmed my OS is now registered. We shall see if I get the genuine Microsoft Advantage pop up again or not. Still, I do like my XP VM so back to it for now regardless. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast