New Lounger
    Thanks

hard drive not showing up in Win 7

I had two 3TB externals that I was usuing to back up a NAS that I no longer needed for that function, having gotten some bigger drives for that purpose. I took one of the drives and removed it from its enclosure, and installed it in a computer to use as an internal drive. It was formatted EXT4 for the NAS, so it needs to be reformatted for windows. The drive shows up in device manager, so it's hooked up properly, but it doesn't show up in the os anywhere.

How can I get the drive to show up so it can be formatted? I had to take a good chunk of the computer apart to get this thing in, and I'd like it to work. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    IceBox,

Windows does not understand Ext4. Get a free program like Partition W Mini-Tool or EaseUS Partition Master Free either will see the drive and let you work on it.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

icebox (2014-11-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Use Disk Management to format the drive and assign a drive letter. To access disk management, use windows explorer then right click on "Computer" and select manage.

Joe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-11-25),icebox (2014-11-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Use Disk Management to format the drive and assign a drive letter. To access disk management, use windows explorer then right click on "Computer" and select manage.

Joe
    Disk managaement didn't work, because it wouldn't initialize the drive so it could be reformatted. Retired Geek's idea to use a partitioning program worked. I should have thought of that myself, having been a longtime user of partitionmagic back in the day. Thanks to both for the ideas.