Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Update ► Ccleaner 5.00.5050

A major new version of Ccleaner has been released. Download from Ccleanedfr - builds. Release notes from Ccleaner:

v5.00.5050 (25 Nov 2014)
    - New improved GUI.
    - Improved internal architecture for better performance.
    - Added Google Chrome plugin management.
    - Improved Google Chrome Startup item detection.
    - Optimized automatic updates for Pro version.
    - Improved system restore detection routine.
    - Updated exception handling and reporting architecture.
    - Optimized 64-bit builds on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.
    - Updated various translations.
    - Many performance improvements and bug fixes.

Joe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Browni (2014-11-26),Rick Corbett (2014-11-26)

Thanks
    Many thanks for the 'heads up'.

Thanks
    Cheers Joe.

I thought I would would give it a spin against my WinTP installation, using the default settings it can reclaim 407MB of data.

It did confuse though me when it said it had to close down Firefox. Firefox?, I ain't running Firefox! I am running Palemoon which is Firefox based but surely it should at least get the browser name right!

ETA Joe, as an administrator of this site I imagine you can see the browser I am using to post here, out of curiosity what does it show up as?
    Last edited by Browni; 2014-11-26 at 10:38.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    ETA Joe, as an administrator of this site I imagine you can see the browser I am using to post here, out of curiosity what does it show up as?
    We actually don't have access to that info, at least not any info that is readily available from the online users list, for example.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Cheers Rui,

When I was admin on a phpBB based site that info was easily available just by looking at the list of online users. It's probably forum software specific.

Not to worry anyway as I have already uninstalled it because if it can't identify the current browser it gives me no confidence in it's other detection rates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    From what I can tell the best we can do is display the User Agent string from the header.

Joe

Thanks
    Browni, have you heard of Auslogics Registry Cleaner and Auslogics Drive-Defrag? I've used both for some time now. No problems that I know of where caused by them. http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/ -- both free and fee are in there. I've been with free. You might want to add Unchecky [unchecky.com?]. Many free software packages come with extras, ensure the click-here boxes are un-clicked by you in the custom or advanced installs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    CCicon.gif

Yesterday I was going to tell y'all about the new CCleaner but, saw Joe had so cool . Anyway, just thought I'd mention a couple little things about CCleaner, couple of suggestions.

1. Uncheck the Jumplists item
    2. Some of you by now know that I, as an IT Pro, do recommend 'cleaning' but, do not recommend messing w/ the Registry. That said, suggest remembering the name is CCleaner... just use the cleaner function & not the Registry button.
    3. If you want to remove a Windows.old folder CCleaner does a fine job of it. IF you have one (windows.old folder) there is an item for it under the Advanced section... check it & Run CCleaner.

Cheers,
    Drew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2014-11-28)

Thanks
    Drew, I amend your comments by adding that registry cleaning can be safely done, if one ensures settings are default, not aggressive. Over the years, I have safe-cleaned registry of un-needed entries, etc. System Restore points and/registry backups are fairly good fallbacks. And, having ext HD-based images [via Norton Ghost, now Acronis True Image] allows for a little bit of experimenting with registry cleaning. I tell others: avoid registry compacting! Problematic.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/