5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cleaning up a rough PC-patching month

PATCH WATCH

Cleaning up a rough PC-patching month

By Susan Bradley

November not only suffered from several patch do-overs, it also saw a few unexpected, out-of-cycle patches. As Adobe releases a quick fix for Flash, Google adds SSL-security enhancements to Chrome.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/cleaning-up-a-rough-pc-patching-month/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-11-26 at 19:51.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Bradley
    Windows and Mac users should now be on Flash Player 15.0.0.239. Chrome and Internet Explorer 10/11 users will be updated automatically.
    Please explain how Flash Player updates for IE10/11 would be automatic when you continually recommend disabling automatic updates.

Please also recognize that the update method of Flash Player for IE10/11 on Windows 7 is different from Windows 8.

It's automatic for Windows 10, but only because automatic updates can't be disabled easily there yet.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-11-28 at 08:29. Reason: clarified 7 v. 8

Thanks

thanks

Susan,

Thank you for the Patch Update. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving!

Charles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for continuing to provide excellent and timely information on patches.

Quick question - KN2991963 has gone AWOL from this latest update. Does that mean it's ok to install?

Thanks
    "...Please explain how Flash Player updates for IE10/11 would be automatic when you continually recommend disabling automatic updates...."
    Flash Player comes from Adobe, I think you can set it to notify you only.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Flash Player comes from Adobe, I think you can set it to notify you only.
    Flash Player updates for Windows 8 do not come from Adobe, but via Microsoft/Windows Updates.

Thanks
    ahhhhh, I forgot! Tanks for the heads-up! --Patton
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ahhhhh, I forgot! Tanks for the heads-up! --Patton
    You'll need to ensure you uncheck anything prechecked.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only implementations of Microsoft IME (Japanese) are affected by the vulnerability. Other implementations of IME are not vulnerable; however, this update may be offered to systems with a non-vulnerable IME, such as Chinese IME, Pinyin IME, or Korean IME

----
    Apparenly you have this code on your machine. Haven't seen reports of issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy, has the quality dropped in everything to do with Windows Updates in the last 6 months. First, they stopped the Wednesday Webcasts which gave detailed information on every update. I depended on that information to make recommendations to my sysadmins. Then, this month, we have found two sets of problem updates:

1. On Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit?), KB3002339, which applies to Visual Studio 2012, fails to install, and will not let any subsequent updates install. Manual download and install works, and then allows Windows Update to complete.

2. On a new build of 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 which is installing all Windows Updates for the first time, related KBs 2994023 (dated 11/18), 2984981 (dated 10/13), and 2923545 (dated 6/26) fail to install with CBS Install error code 800706f7, followed by COMAPI Install error code 80240022. Those are all for RDP 8.1, and only one (2984981) is related to security. Also, KB2970228 (dated 9/02), the Russian ruble symbol, fails to install with this set, with no error code. These keep trying (and failing) to reinstall repeatedly, which keeps Windows Update from ever finishing. I am un-approving these now in our WSUS server, so that the rest of the Windows Updates will apply. I'll research these error codes shortly.

Has Microsoft decided that Windows Update is not important, so should not be held to the highest-quality standards it displayed before? I can certainly no longer recommend Microsoft as the company to emulate when it comes to updating.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My research led me to a posting on the Web that said the root cause of these failures is another update, KB3004394 (root certificates), and that uninstalling this one would allow the other 4 to work. That is being tested now.

Meanwhile, searching the Web on KB3004394 found dozens of postings from reliable experts on all kinds of problems this one update is causing. So I'm pulling approval from this one on our WSUS server, and I may go so far as to have WSUS remove it where it's already installed.

All of which just demonstrates the quality complaint I started with.

Thanks
    ?Microsoft could be a victim of too much and too different from too many different sources information which goes into their Pot'O'Compile updates?