5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it a simple software error or malware?

LANGALIST PLUS

Is it a simple software error or malware?

By Fred Langa

The causes of anti-malware failure range from minor system errors to raging, full-blown infections. Here's how to safely sort things out. Plus: Security concerns about bypassing Windows' UAC, a reliable DVD drive suddenly dies, and a free DOS-emulator helps you run very old apps and games.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/is-it-a-simple-software-error-or-malware/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, Helpful article for me. About 10 days ago the update from Comodo CIS premium 7 to 8 failed, as did their GeekBuddy phone support. Uninstall/reinstall didn't help and system restores failed, the result being Windows and programs were going nonresponsive repeatedly. Even a Windows repair install (in place) kept hanging at 52%. Well, I noticed your article and ran Avira's rescue disk overnight. It renamed 12 files, although as I went through them it was a lot more than that and none seemed properly classified. So I don't know if it was that or running misexec /regserver or a Windows file clean, but the Repair install ran all the way through in 30 minutes and put everything back to normal, which allowed me to reinstall Comodo successfully.

One thing, though: I looked at Kapersky and have to say that its instruction manual is not easy. I think one is supposed to burn a CD/DVD, if that's the medium to be used, but it doesn't actually say so! The beginning of their manual, the key part, is confusing in its media references between CD/DVD and USB. OTOH, Avira right off give the choice of a download or image burn right off the bat, and its short instruction manual is straight forward.
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-11-28 at 20:55.

Thanks
    highstream, how do you make your Avira rescue disk? I have freebie Avira.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    highstream, how do you make your Avira rescue disk? I have freebie Avira.
    Is this what you're looking for:
    http://www.avira.com/en/download/pro...-rescue-system

Jerry

Thanks
    bookmarked! will download at home, thanks jwitalka!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/