Star Lounger
    Thanks

C: drive identification number

Hi Forum members, I am trying to determine whether or not my C: drive is connected to the correct Sata port on the MB. As all 3 hard drives are 500 GB it is not easy for me to determine. Question: Is the serial number on the Hard drive case the same as the one listed in device managers first line entry? Or is the number listed the hard drive that is connected to the # 1 sata slot on the Motherboard? The reason for the question is that my C: drive is connected to the # 2 slot on the MB. However; the computer functions just fine. In the BIOS ( legacy ) in the boot order it shows up as # 2 Hard disk in the boot order, is that OK? Should I change the boot order to make the C: drive the # 1 in the boot order? Keeping in mind all is working OK for now. Regards Peter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows generally assigns the first drive it finds as C, but you can change that when you install Windows.
    Running Disk Manager (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc) will usually show you the order in which Windows found the disks and which one is C.
    MS Info (Start > Run > msinfo32, Components > Storage > Disks) will show you the model numbers and the bus order, but there is no guarantee this matches the SATA port numbers, although it should if the mobo manufacturer made the mobo correctly.

cheers Paul

Thanks
    petrox:
    My C: drive is #2 also and to find out which drive it is inside the computer I ran BELARC which gives you the serial numbers of the drives in order, so that's what I look at to determine which drive is which.
    BELARC is free for personal use, just google it.
    HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually I change the volume label to something I prefer using Computer Management, Disk Management, e.g. WDC_2TB_2 for a Western Digital 2GB as a USB drive. The boot drive can also be changed, sometimes will be according to what the OEM/Brand wants, in Windows Explorer I show C: as WDC250GB and D: as WDC500GB. Knowing/identifying what is on each drive makes it easier to relabel or simply creating a text/.txt on each drive of the same label name desired. Harkening back to my DOS days I think one can use up to 11 characters for the label. The label can be changed in Windows Explorer's right-click and Properties then on the General tab.

Thanks
    Berton! I do something similar with drive names! Because Acronis does not use the Windows assigned driver letters during backup and restore, I have named my harddrive partitions "S01_C" and "S01_D." With such names, regardless of what utility is used to see the good techie stuff, I always recognize S01_C and S01_D.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. All of them were very helpful. I have downloaded the Belarc adviser and identified C:. I will leave the C: drive hooked up to the # 2 Sata port on the MB as the Computer is working well. Regards and thanks again Peter

Thanks
    Glad it worked for you.