Thanks

Printing Numerous VBA Windows - Access 2010

I have an Access 2010 application that uses a lot of VBA. When I switch to VBA mode, there are about 30 different windows open, most of them with under 20 or so lines of code.

I'd like to see all these things in one big printout, so I can look at the big picture and see how each of these 30 windows fits into the whole. Is there anything built in, or anything available as an add-in or separate program or whatever that will let me do that?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is possible to export all of those VBA windows to text files, which is a common way of repairing VBA projects that are corrupted for some reason, or you can simply copy and paste the contents of each window to a Word document if you want to see them all at once. But most of those 30 windows are probably attached to a form or a report, and detaching them without regard to where they came from looses much of their meaning. Unless you are pretty proficient at reading and writing VBA procedures, I doubt you will gain much from the exercise. FYI, I would be sure to do this sort of thing on a copy of your front-end (hopefully your database is split), as tinkering with your production copy can be disastrous. And I would be backing everything up on a regular basis.
    Wendell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WendellB For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-11-28)

Thanks
    Thanks for the response. I DO have a split database, thanks to the expertise of the fellow who designed it ten years ago. And you are right, most of those windows ARE attached to a form or report.

In looking through all the windows, many of them have commented-out sections, or are completely commented out, due to experimentation in the distant past. I'm trying to clean all that stuff up, but it's hard to do it without the big picture.

I am slowly but surely regaining and enhancing the advanced-beginner-level Access skills that I had back then, thanks to help from a pro-bono guru I found on Craigslist, and to some extensive reading in Access 2007 All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies. It's amazing how much of this stuff comes back to you when you start to dig into it. (It's also amazing how much time one can spend on it!)

What I have in mind is some sort of developer's tool that goes through the Project Explorer item-by-item, capturing the item's name then putting it, along with the item's content, into some sort of document that preserves the indentation and coloring of the content. That would REALLY help me with what I'm trying to do.

Probably somebody, somewhere, has developed such a thing. The problem is how to find it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lou,

Attached is my home grown Access Documenter which you are welcome to use.
    DocumenterListDB.zip
    The database contains a form which you can copy to your database and a separate helper module which you can export from the VBE and then import into your database via the VBE.

To get this to work you need to set some references which are documented in the comments of the Form's code module please read them before attempting to use the program. Once the references are set and the Binding variable is set you only have to run the form from the Database window and select the options you want. The output is sent to a Word document nicely (at least I think so) formatted. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-11-28)

Thanks
    I'll give it a try. I can see where my long weekend is headed -- Accessville! I've got plenty of "better" things to do, but this stuff is addicting once you take a few hits of it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA