Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can anyone ID this file?

During a boot scan, Avast! reported a corrupted ZIP file. In white letters on a black screen, it said:

- - - - - - - - -

ACCCx181.zip.aamdownload |>ACCCPackages\HEX\HEX.pima Error 42125

{zip archive is corrupted}

- - - - - - - - -

The file is 138 MB (145,388,541 bytes), and is located in:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\

Does anyone know what this file might be?

Google has umpteen pages of hits for "Error 42125," including links to software that claims to fix damaged ZIP files. Does anyone here have experience with ZIP-fixing software? Is that the route I should be taking?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Brooks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    ACCCx181.zip appears to have something to do with the Adobe Creative Cloud package. Are you using any of the "pro" versions of an Adobe product?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2014-11-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooksNYC View Post
    ...Does anyone know what this file might be?...
    I googled "ACCCx181.zip", and it seems to be something to do with "Adobe Creative Cloud" (whatever that is).

E.g.: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1235069?tstart=0 and http://creative171.rssing.com/chan-7.../all_p289.html.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2014-11-27)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, and kind thanks for pitching in.

Adobe's presence on my computer is represented by Adobe Elements and Adobe Flash. No "Pro" versions of any software.

Nor, to the best of my knowledge, am I on any clouds creative, or otherwise. I'll have to find out what this "Creative Cloud" is.

Happy Thanksgiving, Joe!

Hope all's well Down Under, Coochin!

B.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is that the filename (ACCCx181.zip.aamdownload)? If so, the last part of the name suggests an "in progress" download, which may have failed or been interrupted at some point. That would also explain why the zipfile is "corrupted" (because the download never completed).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2014-11-27)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Is that the filename (ACCCx181.zip.aamdownload)? If so, the last part of the name suggests an "in progress" download, which may have failed or been interrupted at some point. That would also explain why the zipfile is "corrupted" (because the download never completed).
    Confirmed, it's a download that never completed so it was never amended to exclude the aamdownload extension used by the downloading program, and since it's not all there, rightly analyzed as corrupt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2014-11-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooksNYC View Post
    ...Hope all's well Down Under, Coochin!...
    All's about as well as it ever is here this time of year.

About an hour ago I was about to reply to your post but my Internet connection suddenly dropped out. I think it was because of a large thunderstorm to the South, over Brisbane the capital of Queensland where the large data-centres are based.

Anyhow, and more to the point, we are really enjoying our November (not). Sunday before last the temperature reached 42C in my carport, and each day since has been 31C+, some days 38C. Seldom falls below 22C at night.

As I type this the storm has hit here, and rain is bucketing down at about 100mm per hour (plus blinding lightning and deafening thunder).

All's well? Fairly average really.

"...we'll all be rooned, said Hanrohan, afore the year is out..." (from bush poem Said Hanrohan by famous Australian bush poet A.B. [Banjo] Patterson).
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, if the OP doesn't want to be part of the Adobe Cloud, can he drop the Cloud stuff? Or, modify the behavior? In the past, I have accidentally corrupted a zip-file or two by accidentally doing two different operations to that said file, had too many file managers open
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're all ACE. Thanks so much for your help.

I enlisted WinRAR last night to see if I could view the contents of that file. It showed me a few folders, then spit up an error message: "Unexpected end of archive." Which just confirms what you're all saying: download incomplete.

There's second file in the same directory, adjacent to the first. Both look wan and sickly:

Later today, I'll do some detective work on the annoyingly named "Creative Cloud." Given the fact that at least one (and probably both) of the above files are incomplete downloads, can I safely delete them? Alternately, maybe I should find out what application they belong to, then uninstall and reinstall the whole magilla in the hopes that the Creative Cloud creatively completes its download.

I dunno....thoughts?

Coochin, summer is my season of despair, so I feel for you. Today's high in NYC is 38 degrees (3 Celsius), and I couldn't be happier.

Your quote ("....we'll all be rooned...") has made my day. In fact, I'm tempted to have it chiseled on my gravestone.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just took a cursory spin around the Adobe support forums. The Creative Cloud looks to be a fee-based Adobe desktop app/service that updates Adobe software and offers "cloud access" to various Adobe applications.

The Creative Cloud is also (I mention this merely in passing) shrilly reviled by a portion of its userbase. Installation problems seem common, and the fairly recent "for-fee" clause has everyone's dander up.

I do not intend, ever, to avail myself of the Creative Cloud. Had Avast! not stumbled across the corrupted ZIP during a boot virus scan, I would never have known it was there. It's caused no trouble that I'm aware of, and I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt just to leave it alone. (Although the neat-freak part of me would love to see it purged....PURGED.)

Thanks
    Brooks and Roland

Seems to me that these problems with "Creative Cloud" is typical of technology that has been hastily introduced without thorough testing.

While there are clearly advantages in "The Cloud" for many users (filesharing/syncing, etc.), there are also risks if the technology is used indiscretely.

Brooks, it should be safe to delete the zip files in your temp folder(s); if they are needed by your Adobe programs for some reason then the program should simply re-create them.

Re the storm last night: on the news this morning it is reported that the QLD government is saying that it was the worst storm since 1985, with hailstones the size of golf balls in many areas around Brisbane, and an estimated AU$100million damage bill. I can only wonder about the AU$100million; would think it's a bit too soon for even an estimate.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2014-11-28)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow-zee-zow, Coochin! That sounds like quite a storm. You know the damages will exceed the $100 million estimate. Don't they always? (In the US, at least, they always do.)

Didn't mean to bash the cloud per se......just the "Creative Cloud." The snarly feedback aimed at Adobe would suggest that the "Creative Cloud" is still....um....rough around the edges.

I'll back up those two ZIP files, just in case. Then....bombs away!

Again, thanks to you — and to all here — for your help and guidance.

B.