Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My windows update settings are overridden

I have checked option to let me decide which/when updates to install but choice is constantly ignored.
    Can this be overcome - or do I just check never check updates and then manually check.

Thank you

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    In what way is the setting ignored? What fixes have been installed?

Is this a work or personal PC?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acerfmayer View Post
    I have checked option to let me decide which/when updates to install but choice is constantly ignored.
    Can this be overcome - or do I just check never check updates and then manually check.

Thank you
    Do you mean you have set Windows Update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Most users think that there are three update settings. There is a forth, hidden one, that MS doesn't talk about. Microsoft at times will prepare an update to certain critical key Windows components that have a major impact on the functionality of the operating system and which enable other processes that depend on these key components to work correctly. For this reason, Microsoft will slip such updates through to every Windows PC that is connected to the Internet, regardless of your update settings preference.

Thanks
    From another thread, another poster, I borrowed his Windows Update Off script, I run the batchfile every time at the beginning of every session. Like Outer Limits, I control the H, I control V, I control when WU works. I think one of my earlier problems with GC & msie might have been "enhanced" by a particular unknown-to-me Windows Update.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Calimanco. So it's useless to indicate a choice....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Coochin, that's what I mean

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Joe -

It's a personal PC.
    Settings are ignored in that Automatic update is most often indicated in settings window even though I had checked Let me choose.... This seems to be what Calimanco is referring to.

Thanks
    I turn WU off completely and NOTHING gets checked, downloaded, or installed.
    This works out well if you're concerned about such things, but it depends upon you
    actually being fastidious enough to go and manually check on a regular basis.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint. May I ask what programs you run in lieu of WU?

New Lounger
    Thanks

My Update went even crazier:

Thursday, Nov. 27, I received notification of 2 important updates for Windows 7. The only thing I noticed was that it took a long time. This morning, I got a notification that I had 122 - yes, 122 - important updates - some going back to 2011 and according to my update history had already been installed. So now I see that not only only did I get SP 1 KB976932 and update KB2977759, but something weird called Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 (?) that I have never encountered before in my updates.

Can this be fixed? I'm not a computer expert.

Thank you,

JenAnne Victoria BC CANADA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JenAnne View Post
    , but something weird called Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 (?) that I have never encountered before in my updates.
    It may look slightly unusual (i.e. no KB number), but it's not weird and you should have had it four months ago:

See comments by Susan Bradley at Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did read S. Bradley's comments. I don't doubt that the Agent is legit, but I don't understand why it listed 122 updates beginning in 2011 and that already exist according to my history - stuff to do with NET Framework etc (?). That's why I called the Agent "weird" because it has never shown up before. So do I have to run 122 updates and tie up the machine. As I said, I'm no expert.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JenAnne View Post
    I did read S. Bradley's comments. I don't doubt that the Agent is legit, but I don't understand why it listed 122 updates beginning in 2011 and that already exist according to my history - stuff to do with NET Framework etc (?). That's why I called the Agent "weird" because it has never shown up before. So do I have to run 122 updates and tie up the machine. As I said, I'm no expert.
    You could try the Windows Update Troubleshooter, but I would just go with the flow and install them.

You can carry on doing other stuff while Windows Update downloads and installs patches.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-11-30 at 17:32. Reason: fixed link

Thanks
    Hey all, I just made another batchfile, WUoff[ViaStartup].bat, placed it into Windows Startup folder. Hopefully, it will run at startup automatically, disabling WU. I'll report back if any problems.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast