5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

what is the latest version of thunderbird that works on xpprosp3

i am very afraid of just downloading the lastest of anything from mozilla
    as the lastest firefox forked my pc and deleted the good firefox that ran and left me with crud that does not work forcing me to try chrome

i need a pop 3 email client for xp pro sp3
    everyone says thunderbird is the one to use

but what is the last version that actually worked rock solid on xp?
    i am afraid of just downloading the latest and totally losing my email like i did my browswer

how can you get the install for a good TB instead of hoping to track down every single file you need and doing it manually ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows XP came with Outlook Express 6 and should work fine. I usually go to www.majorgeeks.com to get downloadable program, have never had a problem. Naturally the best place is from the publisher of the program. If nothing else works I'd try OE Classic, it's free and similar to Outlook Express and I've installed it on up to Win7. Outlook Express was dropped when Vista came out with its Windows Mail then Win7 dropped a built-in E-Mail Client, made Windows Live Mail available.

Thunderbird should be available as a single .exe/executable file and after downloading/saving double-click the file to start the install.

http://www.oeclassic.com/

Thanks
    In the past, and also now, I am always able to install any version of Firefox [well, ok, no more than 5-6 versions older] on top of current Firefox - and Firefox still works. I do know, for best results, do not "move" the default user appdata local nor roaming directories - or- one just might end up playing Sherlock Holmes fixing Firefox. Same with Thunderbird, another version [within reason] can be installed on top of current version. Ditto about its default data directories. ** What version works with XP Pro SP3? I don't know, 'cause I only have Windows XP Mode, and haven't tried either FF or Tbird in there [yet]. **
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Speedball, I found Mozilla Thunderbird 17 in oldapps & oldversions. I have tbird 19 if you want it. Either one should work fine in XP.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

will look there for them

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Speedball, I found Mozilla Thunderbird 17 in oldapps & oldversions. I have tbird 19 if you want it. Either one should work fine in XP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The latest version works fine on XPSP3, no reason why it shouldn't. Same with Firefox. I have the latest version of both and I've never had a problem.

Incidentally, they've fixed the appearance issues and Tbird and FF both work nicely now with XP themes.

No need to search the net for old versions; you can always get any version you want from the Mozilla FTP site.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2014-12-04 at 14:53.

Thanks
    tonyl is correct, usually the latest newest versions work fine within XP. You might need to install an add-on or plug-in for certain "look & feel" within XP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    well that latest version was a total fail and worse

cant speak to the new latest version 44
    but afraid to try it

already seeing web posts about problems people are having with that one

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    The latest version works fine on XPSP3, no reason why it shouldn't. Same with Firefox. I have the latest version of both and I've never had a problem.

Incidentally, they've fixed the appearance issues and Tbird and FF both work nicely now with XP themes.

No need to search the net for old versions; you can always get any version you want from the Mozilla FTP site.