Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old Quicken installed on one W7 computer, but not the other

We have W7 Pro 64-bit on two computers, on one of which an old version of Quicken - Quicken 2002 SE Personal Plus - has been installed and running for well over a year with no problems. However, when I insert the same original Quicken installation CD in the second W7 machine to try to install the program and click the "Install.exe" file, I immediately get the following error message:

Quicken install error.png

I've tried changing the compatibility to XP SP3 and XP SP2, as well as Run as Administrator, but all to no avail. I don't know how the Quicken 2002 was successfully loaded onto the other W7 Pro machine, but it is indeed installed and working well under W7 Pro, not under W7's XP Mode. There's probably something incredibly obvious that I'm missing here, but if anyone can suggest a way to tweak W7 to get this to install, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,
    Al
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on HP ProBook
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on OLD Dell laptop
    Samsung Galaxy S5 running Lollipop 5.0

Thanks
    Is the 2nd PC with windows 7 64 bit or 32? I'm guessing 32 bit as the error message is eluding to. If so it will never install.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Is the 2nd PC with windows 7 64 bit or 32? I'm guessing 32 bit as the error message is eluding to. If so it will never install.
    Thanks for your post, but I'm afraid that's not my answer. Both computers are W7 Pro 64-bit. That's why I'm puzzled, since the program loaded and works just fine on the other 64-bit machine.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    Several times I have managed to get old software to install in Win7 by copying the contents of the installation CD to a folder on the HDD, then use "Run as Administrator" to install from there.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Coochin,

I appreciate the thought, but when I copied the CD into folder on the HDD and clicked "Instal.exe," I got the same error as in my original post. I'm not sure what the magic trick was that allowed the program to be installed on the other W7 Pro 64-bit machine, but I sure hope I can find out what the secret is.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    Is there a trial version of that Quicken software.....if so download that then just use your activation key if needed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHands33 View Post
    Hi, Coochin,

I appreciate the thought, but when I copied the CD into folder on the HDD and clicked "Instal.exe," I got the same error as in my original post. I'm not sure what the magic trick was that allowed the program to be installed on the other W7 Pro 64-bit machine, but I sure hope I can find out what the secret is.

Cheers,
    Al
    There must be a way of installing the old Quicken since as you say it is running on your other Win7 64bit system. All I can suggest is do google searches re the problem but pay attention to advanced options in google searches.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I don't suppose it knows that it's already been installed so won't install? Some Windows error messages can lead you up the garden path.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    There must be a way of installing the old Quicken since as you say it is running on your other Win7 64bit system. All I can suggest is do google searches re the problem but pay attention to advanced options in google searches.
    I agree, there must indeed be a way to do it, but all my online searching has netted me nothing so far. On a weird note, however, when I tried yet another round of searching a few minutes ago, I found this very thread at the top of the list! How circular is that?

I'm sure there is some simple setting or trick I'm missing somewhere, but I'll be dipped if I can figure it out, so I'm still on the hunt.

Cheers,
    Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I don't suppose it knows that it's already been installed so won't install? Some Windows error messages can lead you up the garden path.
    I wish it were that simple, but unfortunately it's not. When I click on either "install.exe" or Autorun.exe" on the installation disk, I get the "not compatible" error message (see original post) instantly, before the computer has even had a second to run anything. When I click on either of those files using Compatibility Mode even as far back as Windows XP, SP2, the same instant error response pops up.

There is another Setup.exe file in a folder on the disk called "Disk 1" which some articles mentioned as sometimes allowing older Quicken versions to install on W7, but even under Compatibility Mode, the most I can get out of clicking on that is the little activity indicator whirling round and round for a few seconds, then....nothing. I've tried the same approaches both from the CD and from a copy of the CD I saved to a folder on my desktop, but always with the same results. One strange thing, though: When I can get the activity indicator to whirl around for a few seconds when trying to install from the CD, the CD drive indicator doesn't light up, so whatever activity the whirling indicator is indicating apparently doesn't include the CD from which I'm trying to install the program.

Still mystified, but hoping that someone will have the magic answer.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2014-11-28 at 15:49.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Al,

I happened to have a copy of Quicken 2002 in my archives, so thought I'd give it a try and see what would happen if I tried to install it on my Win7x64. When I tried to execute install.exe it popped up the exact error message that you got. But when I executed setup.exe the installation process started right up. Try that instead. You may have to hunt for setup.exe (mine was in a subfolder called DISK1).

It appears install.exe is merely an autorun stub that launches setup.exe, so the stub may not be 64-bit compatible even though the underlying program may be.

I already have a later version installed, so I didn't proceed through the full 2002 installation and therefore didn't ascertain whether there were any other blocking issues, but at least I could determine the install.exe stub was one problem.

Edit: I see you posted your #10 post just before I finished mine, so you already discovered the setup.exe file. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. In my test I was installing from the hard disk, not from CD. I don't keep all my old installation CDs, I copy them to an external hard drive for archival purposes. In my test I copied it back to my desktop and ran setup.exe from there.
    Last edited by dg1261; 2014-11-28 at 16:05.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Al,

I happened to have a copy of Quicken 2002 in my archives, so thought I'd give it a try and see what would happen if I tried to install it on my Win7x64. When I tried to execute install.exe it popped up the exact error message that you got. But when I executed setup.exe the installation process started right up. Try that instead. You may have to hunt for setup.exe (mine was in a subfolder called DISK1).

It appears install.exe is merely an autorun stub that launches setup.exe, so the stub may not be 64-bit compatible even though the underlying program may be.

I already have a later version installed, so I didn't proceed through the full 2002 installation and therefore didn't ascertain whether there were any other blocking issues, but at least I could determine the install.exe stub was one problem.

Edit: I see you posted your #10 post just before I finished mine, so you already discovered the setup.exe file. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. In my test I was installing from the hard disk, not from CD. I don't keep all my old installation CDs, I copy them to an external hard drive for archival purposes. In my test I copied it back to my desktop and ran setup.exe from there.
    Thanks for confirming that the install.exe file was useless; at least I know I wasn't making a mistake there. As to the Setup.exe file in the DISK1 subfolder, I've gone to the Quicken installation folder I copied to my Desktop, right clicked on Setup.exe, selected Properties>Compatibility, and chosen, successively: W7, XP SP3, XP SP2, W98/Me, W95. In every case, when I tried to run Setup.exe, the activity indicator whirled for 5-6 seconds, then stopped with no result. I then repeated the tests down to XP SP2 with "Run as Adminstrator" checked at the bottom of the Compatibility tab, but again, all I got was 5-6 seconds of whirling, then nothing.

FWIW, when I hover my mouse over the Setup.exe file, it gives the file description as "16-bit Setup Launcher." I can't see that as being the problem, though, as the program loaded successfully on the other computer using these files.

I can't help wondering if there is perhaps some setting within W7 Pro which is somehow set differently on the two machines, thus allowing the other W7 machine to install the program and causing this machine to fail. If there is, however, I have no idea what it might be.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In case it gives someone an idea, I just discovered on my computer an old shortcut to this version of Quicken I've been trying to load. I'd forgotten that I'd briefly tested the program back in July of 2013, at which time it installed just fine from the CD, but then, for reasons I no longer recall, removed it from my computer but missed this manually-created Quicken shortcut in an obscure folder. When I now click on that shortcut, the computer looks for C:\Program Files\QUICKENW\QW.EXE, then tells me that "The specified path does not exist" (which of course it does not).

About 12 days ago, this computer lost its mind entirely and wouldn't boot, as result of which it required a complete reinstallation of W7 Pro 64-bit and all software (though fortunately my data was completely available from the backup I'd completed not even five minutes before W7 went senile!). Consequently:

A) I'm quite sure that nothing from the 21Jul13 Quicken installation is present to interfere with a new installation.

B) Because I'm working with a fresh installation of W7 Pro, I again can't help wondering if there is some setting in this installation of W7 Pro which is different from the last one, as well as from the installation in the other computer.

I hope that this gives someone an idea that may help.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2014-11-28 at 18:34.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I have (minimal) progress, sort of. When I now click the autorun.exe file, either on the CD or in the copied CD installation files on my W7 Desktop, I now get the following response, asking me if I want to install Quicken.

Quicken Install Window.png

When I saw this, I thought I was finally on my way, but when I clicked Yes, all I got was the spinning activity indicator for 5-6 seconds, then nothing. Apparently, the autorun.exe file is working, but when it tries to get the next step going, the installation fails. Hmmm..........

Cheers,
    Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not going out today ("Black Friday" in the US, so too many crazies out there), so had a little time to experiment. I made an image of my existing system so I could restore it after experimenting, and temporarily restored an image of a clean, unadorned Win7x64 install to test with.

I copied the Quicken 2002 installation files to the desktop. When I hover over the "DISK 1/setup.exe" file I also get the balloon you mention about it being a "16-bit Setup Launcher". (FWIW, I wonder if my version originally came on 3.5" floppies, as I've got about 2 dozen "DISK xx" folders.)

0.png

When I run setup.exe I get the familiar UAC prompt, then when I allow that I get the familiar InstallShield unpacking progress bar, followed quickly by the Welcome screen. I did not need to tinker with compatibility settings.

2.png

I clicked [Next] and selected a "Typical" install, and in about 2 seconds it was done installing! (Gotta love those old programs--so tight and streamlined compared to today's bloatware.) Played around with a bit and the installed program seems to work fine.

3.png

Your symptoms (when you try to launch setup.exe) kind of sound like it's waiting for UAC permission; are you getting the UAC prompt? ISTR some old programs that during installation went nowhere until I discovered a hidden UAC prompt they were waiting for. There was no UAC sound and no UAC icon on the taskbar, but when I minimized each window one by one there was left a UAC window in the very background. Maybe try disabling UAC, rebooting, and then trying setup.exe?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

HealingHands33 (2014-11-29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast