Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Network-accessible external hard drive

How do I make my external USB hard drive available to all the computers on my network? This seems as though it should be easy, but I haven't been able to find an intelligible explanation anywhere.

I subscribe to the iDrive backup system, which has an option to do scheduled back ups to a local drive in addition to their cloud. I want to avoid having to move the external drive from one computer to the other when these backups occur.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    My first educated guess is to lock in a drive letter on your external HD. I have my two ext backup drives, named Kitty and Katty, locked in. I haven't tried this yet: see if you can "share" your ext hd. Then, with a locked in drive letter, other computers should see it, and hopefully use it correctly. Please let us know if the above works for you, or not. I'd like very much to learn how you solve this!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lou,

What you need to do as I see it is to:
    1. Use USBDLM to lock the drive letter for the external drive.
    2. Share that drive.
    3. On each other machine you want to use you need to map the now shared drive to the same drive letter.

You should be good to go.

What would be better is if you could connect the drive to your router (no need to have master machine turned on), of course your router needs to have the networking of USB drives feature but most modern ones do. Check your router manual.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Roland: I don't know how to "lock in" a drive letter. RetiredGeek's post shows one way, but the explanation at the link is a little scary. Are you thinking of another way to do it?

BTW, my network consists of two Win 7 machines and an XP machine that I only power up occasionally. There is no pressing need for the XP machine to access the external drive, but it would be a minor plus if it could do so. I have learned that mixed networks that include XP machines behave in mysterious and unpredictable ways, so I just let the XP machine do whatever it wants on them.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a NAS/Network Attached Storage drive, connected to my Router by an Ethernet cable. I haven't needed it yet but my Wireless Router has a USB 2.0 port for attaching an External USB HDD [got the Router after the NAS]. Either method does not need any particular computer staying on and can be reached by any wired or wireless computer. I use it with Windows, Macintosh and Linux computers. A different term used by WDC is Personal Cloud, has an Ethernet port and seems to be the same as the NAS I have.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-11-28)

Thanks
    Boy, this gets complexer and complexer. I've had something like this in the past, but working with it was a minor nightmare, and I didn't have time to get to the bottom of it. I'm taking all these responses under advisement, and will keep the thread posted with my progress.

(And, yes, I know that "complexer" might not be a real word.) :-)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Lou,

RetiredGeek's suggestion in post #3 to just plug your external USB hard drive into your router couldn't be simpler... provided your router supports this. Just let us know the make/model of router and it's probably easy to check.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    The router is an ARRIS TG862
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    The User Manual for the ARRIS TG862 mentions a USB port but qualifies this by stating "(future support for external USB devices)" so, unfortunately, it doesn't sound like just plugging your external USB hard disk into it is going to work 'out of the box'.

I suggest you follow RetiredGeek's other suggestion in post #3 to use USBDLM then share the drive.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-11-28 at 15:41.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2014-11-28)

Thanks
    Thanks! I'm still working on this...
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Re USBDLM

Might not be necessary.

Simply use Disk Management to assign drive letter Z to your USB drive, then share Z to the network. You will probably have to adjust sharing permissions to get access from your other computers.

Using Z for the drive letter should avoid any problems caused by connecting any other USB storage devices.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks

Sharing permissions

Below screenshot shows the settings that work for me.

Sharing.jpg
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, when Windows sees Networked drives it usually starts lettering them at Z: and working back up the alphabet for others, automatically did my NAS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    ...I don't know how to "lock in" a drive letter...
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management

Right-click on the partition/drive then click "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

Thanks
    Coochin, thanks for explaining locking in a drive letter! Windows disk manager works just fine. I use Acronis Disk Director and Windows disk manager interchangably. Now, lemmie see if I can the usb attached printer...
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast