Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Directory Mail Merge to 'Labels'

This is a question re: the wonderful and bountiful postings from Paul/Macropod on various topics - this dealing with mailmerge.

I'd like to print a short note to a bunch of students. While I haven't composed the full note yet, I'm thinking it's short enough that I can probably get 2 across the page and 3 down the page - so 6 notes total on a sheet and I'll cut them later. This seems like a directory but directories seem to be a bunch of lines with each output taking up a vertical space, so each output takes up a vertical space on the page, next output, etc.

I tried to use labels (don't recall the particular style) but that didn't seem to work. I wouldn't print the output on labels - I just wanted the output to be in the form of a few across and a few down the page. This should be easy but, for some reason, I just couldn't get it to work. I'm sure I'm missing something.

What I tried to do was create my source document as labels. Should I have created my source document small enough to fit on a label but not as labels? But when I do the final merge, I want this to go to a file where I would get the few across/few down effect of labels but I'd print to paper.

TIA

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't need the stick-on labels you can use the Avery label number template, create the labels as desired then print on plain paper. If needing to be larger that 2"x4" try the post card size of 4"x6". The numbers are 5163 and 5389, respectively. Avery has free software for Word.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You could just insert a table of the appropriate dimensions & formatting into a document, then use that for a label merge. You could also use one of the label options from Word's offerings, but finding one with the right format might be somewhat hit & miss. You don't have to send the output to actual labels - Word couldn't care less.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I figured that Word couldn't care less whether I used real labels or not for the actual printing.

I tried the Avery postcard template (don't recall the # either). But it wasn't clear to me when I create the source document whether I tell Word that I want labels (which I tried) or a directory. I tried labels, picked the postcard template and then tried to put in the words and merge fields. When I created the merge document, things got screwed up.

As far as using a table, I tried that too - 2x2 table with the rows and cols big enough to take up a page. But I'm not sure what you meant by a "label" merge. When I got to the last step of the process to merge to a new document, I couldn't tell Word that I wanted the output merge document to be a label of type x - nowhere to do this.

But I will give it another shot this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    It's not apparent to me whether you're using Word 2003 & earlier, or Word 2007 & later.

For Word 2003 & earlier, using the mailmerge toolbar, click on the left-most button (Main Document Setup), then choose labels. Otherwise, via the Wizard, choose 'Labels' at Step 1 of 6.

For Word 2007 & later, using the Mailings tab on the Ribbon, click on Start Mail Merge, then choose labels. Otherwise, via the Wizard, choose 'Labels' at Step 1 of 6.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I'm using 2003 and also a version (produces docx so similar to 2007?) on the MAC.

We've decided to just go with a directory and I'm going to do the work on my machine. I don't expect any more hiccups to occur but a quick trial this morning was not entirely successful. I'll let you know if I need more help.

Thks.

Fred