Thanks

Using Craigslist to get help on Access

This forum is arguably the world's best source of help on Access and other areas of computer knowledge. I've gotten tons of good help here, and I've been able to give some minor help to others.

But sometimes more help is needed than can be delivered by a forum. I've had great success with posting my Access needs on Craigslist, under the heading of "Computer Gigs". One fellow came to my house and solved a difficult and longstanding problem that hadn't been handled here. He didn't ask for money, but I gave him $50 for his trouble (he lives about an hour away, and he spent about two hours solving my problem). Another expert is helping me on an ongoing pro bono basis with a similar project.

I post on Craigslist Pittsburgh, but in my experience, people from all over the country monitor these posts to see if they can help. If you want, you can post your request on the Craigslist for a high-tech city like Boston or Denver. Replies tend to be numerous, and a goodly number are robo-replies from people whose skills don't match what is asked for, but there is more than enough gold in there to make it worthwhile to look at them all.

It is helpful if your Craigslist post gives a detailed description of what you need, and it's good to put some human interest in there as well. Attached is a facsimile of one of my very successful posts. Several respondents commented on the picture at the top.

So if your need isn't being handled here, give some thought to posting it on Craigslist.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you considered LinkedIn? There are a variety of Groups there that specialize in Access.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Thanks
    I have a LinkedIn account, but I haven't the foggiest about how to interact with a group there. I do not subscribe to their email service (whatever it's called).
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    When you log-in to your LinkedIn account, you will see a menu bar with "Home Profile Connections Jobs Interests". There is a dropdown menu under "Interests" for Groups.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.