5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail , Can I keep the files on an external hard drive and yet easily readable?

I would like to start archiving my emails so they don't clog my computers hard drive. When I export email I notice that they have long alphanumeric names. eml. not readable.
    Is there a program or can I have Live mail read these exported emails on an external hard drive????? or have Live Mail point to imported folders both on and external to the computers's hard drive?
    Thanks
    JK

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrklein View Post
    I would like to start archiving my emails so they don't clog my computers hard drive. When I export email I notice that they have long alphanumeric names. eml. not readable.
    Is there a program or can I have Live mail read these exported emails on an external hard drive????? or have Live Mail point to imported folders both on and external to the computers's hard drive?
    Thanks
    JK
    Yes there is - none other than Windows Explorer. You can just drag'n'drop emails out of WLM into a folder of your choice. They'll be saved as .eml files with the subject as the filename. Note, though, that this will copy the emails, not move them, so you'll have to delete them in WLM afterwards. Normal Explorer commands will work, such as <Ctrl+A> to select a whole folderful.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Yes there is - none other than Windows Explorer. You can just drag'n'drop emails out of WLM into a folder of your choice. They'll be saved as .eml files with the subject as the filename. Note, though, that this will copy the emails, not move them, so you'll have to delete them in WLM afterwards. Normal Explorer commands will work, such as <Ctrl+A> to select a whole folderful.
    That is great, but
    1. the date of the "email file" on windows explorer picks up the date that it was transferred as of today. So one has a whole bunch of files with the same date unless you open each file to see the date of the email
    2. No easy way to read them or group them or to search them like one does in regualar email programs

I need a way to have the emails off the computer ideally and still be able to use them like regular emails sort on sender or date or do a search to see a particular topic.....

Having them on explorer makes certain they are not lost, but need a better program to use them...
    Any other suggestions welcome
    Thanks
    JK

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using a web-based email service like Gmail?

If so, you can archive and always access your email from there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Given the size of modern hard drives, why bother to archive mail?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is great, but
    1. the date of the "email file" on windows explorer picks up the date that it was transferred as of today. So one has a whole bunch of files with the same date unless you open each file to see the date of the email
    2. No easy way to read them or group them or to search them like one does in regualar email programs

I need a way to have the emails off the computer ideally and still be able to use them like regular emails sort on sender or date or do a search to see a particular topic.....

Having them on explorer makes certain they are not lost, but need a better program to use them...
    Any other suggestions welcome
    Thanks
    JK
    I see your problem. FWIW, Mozilla Thunderbird is very good for archiving. After using POP3 for many years, I've recently changed to IMAP and it's made me look at the archiving feature more closely, because when I changed, the default archive folder became the one on the server rather than on the local drive.

On changing it back, I realised that the archive folder can have monthly subfolders (it's yearly subfolders by default). If that would work for you, I'd suggest changing to Tbird as it's superior to WLM IMHO. You'd also keep the datestamps on your emails. It would still work if you stuck to POP3 of course.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2014-11-29 at 16:18.

Thanks
    Thanks
    JK
    See How do I import and export email, contacts, and calendars with Windows Live Mail?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Given the size of modern hard drives, why bother to archive mail?

cheers, Paul
    I have a lot of emails or so the machine says, it is time to get rid of them or to archive them off the computer but where I can search and see the dates and threads not weird looking files.
    Thanks
    JK
    Last edited by jrklein; 2014-12-04 at 12:51.

Thanks
    Somewhere it was indicated that is not a good idea to change anything Documents locations that Windows or any of its components use. Parallel copy - aok! However, if you ever have to reinstall or change or repair Windows Live, Internet Explorer, etc., it is going to forceably go back to default Documents settings. I may be wrong! However, personally, I leave the defaults alone and parallel copy the data elsewhere. As PaulT said, with the newer HDs being bigger and bigger, there may be no need to "move" diretories and contents.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem is not displaying my emails, but remembering what they are about.

So ... I delete mostly everything. But the ones I "want to keep", I export as plain text and stored topically in folders. At work, in Notes, there's a 'Export' that allows saving as an ASCII TXT file. At home, in Yahoo, I open the print window, do a [Ctrl][A], and save it as a plain text TXT file.

In the Notes and Yahoo TXT files, the header information with To:, From: <date and time>, and Subject: is included.

The inconvenience for me is I no longer have the functionality of the email applications. Just plain text files. But more often than not, where I store the TXT files helps me more when I want to find them. Oftentimes years later.

I guess some of my stuff is bigger than one application or one operating system.
    Last edited by dried_squid; 2015-01-25 at 02:26.

Thanks
    You are better off not using any 3rd party software to read archived email, even if you could find something that will actually do it.
    Instead, get yourself another internal drive and move the "store" folder to that drive. I've been doing it this way forever and it works out just fine.

The WLM store folder must be moved to a newly created EMPTY folder on another internal drive, and not to one that already has email in it.
    NEVER move your WLM store folder to an external drive.

Moving folders off the main drive is perfectly acceptable and MS will help you do it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.