New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile change throughout each document of TheWord Bible program

I create documents that can be read in various Bible study programs.

To transfer documents from one program to another, I need to change (globally) the format of Bible passage references.

Can anyone help me to change throughout each document of TheWord Bible program format, which underlines the whole reference, to the Online Bible program format which encloses the reference with \\# at the beginning and \\ at the end e.g \\#1Ti 6:16\\

I'm thinking of using Find/Replace or Visual Basic macro in Word 2010

Thanks for any help

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Underlining the reference implies a hyperlink. Is that the case or is it just an underline?
    Is anything else underlined?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeyaYZ View Post
    Can anyone help me to change throughout each document of TheWord Bible program format, which underlines the whole reference, to the Online Bible program format which encloses the reference with \\# at the beginning and \\ at the end e.g \\#1Ti 6:16\\
    It would be helpful if you could attach a document to a post showing both the before and after representations. I assume these are in-line references. What happens when there are multiple such references? For example:
    Deuteronomy 4:39, 6:4, 32:39
    Haggai 2:5; Nehemiah 9:30; Isaiah 63:10
    Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Psalm 45:6-7; 110:1; Isaiah 48:16
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Underlining the reference implies a hyperlink. Is that the case or is it just an underline?
    Is anything else underlined?

cheers, Paul
    Paul
    Thanks for your interest.
    Yes, the references are hyperlinked to Bible text. There may be other underlining in the document, but I can usually remove such underlining. When I copy/paste the document from TheWord, the underlining of the book/ch/verse reference is pasted also, ready for the change to Online Bible format.

Regards,
    BeeyaYZ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Extract from TheWord:
    The men and women to whom Jesus and the apostles preached were in this category, and it is significant that in all the accounts of their various methods of preaching e.g. Act 2:14 Act 8:5,35 Act 9:20 Act 14:15 Act 16:10 Act 19:9, etc. it is never recorded that they invited their audiences to ‘worship’, join in prayers, sing choruses or even attend ‘services’.
    (Note: The underlining is stripped out in this forum editor, but is present in MS Word. The space between references is notunderlined in TheWord!!)

Extract from Online Bible:
    Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, was born of the virgin
    Mary. He was raised up a last Adam, born of our nature, tempted as we
    are, yet without sin.

\\#Mt 1:20-21\\

\\#Lu 1:35\\

\\#Ga 4:4\\

\\#Heb 5:7-8\\

\\#Heb 2:16-18\\
    Thanks,
    BeeyaYZ
    Last edited by BeeyaYZ; 2014-11-30 at 05:43. Reason: Underlining was lost in the original

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, but that's as clear as mud. I need a document showing how the same simple and compound references are represented in the text you're trying to convert and how those same references are encoded for the output media. The on-screen appearance in the output media, especially, isn't necessarily representative of the underlying encoding. As an analogy, if you insert a hyperlink in Word, it ordinarily looks like one but, if you press Alt-F9, you'll see a representation of its encoding - the real encoding is different again.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The hyperlink format is what we need to understand how to convert. It may be that the HL does not give sufficient information for an automated conversion.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just to convert the references to hyperlinks in Word would entail bookmarking every range that gets referenced (e.g. for 'Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Psalm 45:6-7; 110:1; Isaiah 48:16' separate bookmarks would be required for Genesis 1:26, Genesis 3:22, Genesis 11:7, Psalm 45:6-7, Psalm 110:1 and Isaiah 48:16), then each of the Genesis 1:26, 3:22, 11:7, Psalm 45:6-7, 110:1 and Isaiah 48:16 references would have to be turned into hyperlinks pointing to the corresponding bookmarks. Note how the Psalm 45:6-7 link has to span two verses; references that span chapters may also occur. That's doable, but could entail a great deal of processing. Doubtless something similar would be required for what you're trying to achieve. It also necessitates having all of the Bible in a single Word document (otherwise the process would be greatly complicated and, in the end, the hyperlinks would end up having the paths from the PC on which they're created - not terribly useful for anyone else).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Macropod and Paul T,
    There's no need to worry about making hyperlinks in the documents. That's done in the Bible Study program (Online Bible). If the text of the document can be opened in the OLB editor with the Bible references in the required format, e.g. \\#Isa 55:5\\, they will be suitably hyperlinked.

What I need is a way of changing in MS Word the reference format for TheWord Bible Study program into the reference format of Online Bible.

I tried to do it in Find/Replace without success. Perhaps I need VB code to do it.

(There's no need to bother with compound references. I have software that renders the compound references into a group of simple references. Let me worry about that.)

I've attached a pdf file with examples of TheWord references and of OnlineBible references.
    Cherubim2.pdf
    Last edited by BeeyaYZ; 2014-11-30 at 21:55.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeyaYZ View Post
    I've attached a pdf file with examples of TheWord references and of OnlineBible references.
    Do you have something against attaching a document, as twice requested?

What you've posted requires nothing more than a fairly straightforward wildcard Find/Replace.

For example, to convert from OLBible Format to TheWord Format:
    Find = \\\\#(*)\\\\
    Replace = \1, with the replacement font formatting specified as part of the replacement parameters.

Conversely, to convert from TheWord Format to OLBible Format:
    Find = <[1-9A-Za-z]@ [0-9\:\-]{1,} (you could include the font formatting as part of the Find parameters, if you need to differentiate it from other verse references)
    Replace = ^92^92^&^92^92, with the replacement font formatting specified as part of the replacement parameters.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Do you have something against attaching a document, as twice requested?

Conversely, to convert from TheWord Format to OLBible Format:
    Find = <[1-9A-Za-z]@ [0-9\:\-]{1,} (you could include the font formatting as part of the Find parameters, if you need to differentiate it from other verse references)
    Replace = ^92^92^&^92^92, with the replacement font formatting specified as part of the replacement parameters.
    Thanks, Macropod,
    Your coding worked well. All I had to do was add the crosshatch to the OLBible format, before running it.

There was no need to attach a full document. What I attached was a small part of a document. (limited by the forum's 1Mbyte limit)

If you're curious to know what I'm doing, please visit my website: www.BibleWorkman.net

Many thanks,
    BeeyaYZ