3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail: can't receive or send emails

I can no longer send or receive emails on my desktop, laptop and tablet computers using Windows Live Mail I get error message id 0x800ccc19. I have re-entered the email address (@talktalk.net) and re-entered the password on all computers to no avail. I can access my emails through the AOL website using the same email address and password. All of the account settings on both main computers are identical so there could not have been an accidental change. I have tried turning off the anti-virus in case that was the problem, but that made no difference. The problem started intermittently when I installed a new modem a few days ago, supplied by the ISP, and is now permanent. Help please!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you talked to talktalk? Or checked your settings with their recommendations for the account?

It seems to me that if it's their email server and their modem then they should be able to fix it.

According to this thread, it could just be a talktalk glitch: 0x800CCC19 'mail.talktalk.net'

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-11-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Just before looking to see if there had been a reply I tried WLM again - lo and behold, I was asked to enter my password again and immediately the emails came flooding in. The only annoying thing is that I kept getting asked to enter my password again. I looked at the talktalk post you directed me to and the problem was the same as mine. I had previously disconnected my anti-virus program and it made no difference. I shall look for this "homesafe" program, which I did not know I had, but maybe it was installed without my knowledge. The fault must lie with talktalk. Very very many thanks - Windows Secrets is wonderful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    ...The only annoying thing is that I kept getting asked to enter my password again...
    I have seen this problem many times with WLM. Go to your account settings and re-enter your password there then save. For some reason the prompt you get to enter your password when trying to download email does not save the password, hence the need to go into settings to save the password.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-11-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    TalkTalk are recovering from a complete email failure during which they recommended users should only try webmail, and POP3 access still isn't fixed:

Issues accessing your @talktalk.net email - Update 30th 12:15

Bruce

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-11-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    TalkTalk are recovering from a complete email failure during which they recommended users should only try webmail, and POP3 access still isn't fixed:

Issues accessing your @talktalk.net email - Update 30th 12:15

Bruce
    Really helps don't it?

Grrr!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My email still does not work properly in that although I now receive emails OK I get a screen asking me to enter email address and password, followed by a screen giving an error message, repeated every 60 seconds. Bruce's posting referred me to a talktalk forum where someone else had the access problem - they were advised to remove the account and re-enter all of the relevant information and settings, rather than just re-entering username and password. I have hundreds of emails stored in a dozen or so folders - if I remove the account and re-enter will I loose all of those stored emails?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You wouldn't lose any emails because you'd only be removing and re-entering the details required for connection from your client to their host.

But I still think you should talk to TalkTalk first as they currently have such a general problem, and your actions may be unnecessary right now.

The user in that thread from 16 months ago you refer to found his issues were corrected by TalkTalk before he actually re-entered his account.

And sure enough, TalkTalk now say that all your problems should be solved too:

Latest Update - 30th 19:00

Earlier today we confirmed that our webmail and IMAP service had been restored and we can now confirm that full service has been restored to POP3. This means that customers will now be able to access their emails without any further issues using webmail or via email clients and mobile devices. We'd like to apologise for the loss of service over the past couple of days and thank you for your patience whilst our engineers worked to restore service.

Issues accessing your @talktalk.net email - Resolved - 30th 19:00

Bruce

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-12-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... or as El Reg puts it; "TalkTalk email goes titsup FOR DAYS."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that BruceR might have the solution. My wife's WLM account quit on her last week and she couldn't log on but the emails were in her POP3 account on line. I entered and even changed her password on both the WLM account and server. Still same problem. I finally deleted the WLM account and built a new one. Worked like a charm. It's easy and didn't create any problems.