2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Understanding 'Delete Browsing History' options

I've had a problem with sites remembering my passwords lately,...probably some change I made (or got made for me) ??

I still have problems interpreting how to check the boxes under Control Panel, Internet Options, Browsing History ??
    When I click on 'Delete', a window appears named "delete browsing history"
    Under that are a number of selections that you can either check or uncheck.

If I click any of those boxes, does that mean I want to delete them,...as the window box is titled?? I've always been a little unsure of this apparent double meaning.
    As I read the individual choices here it would appear that I want to check the box for save passwords, BUT as the title of this window says 'delete browsing history',...am I choosing to delete the password saving feature?

I am also primarily interested in deleting the 'temporary files' that get stored on everyones computer when they visit various webpages. I experienced a problem long ago where my computer got really slow, and a technician told me I had HUGE amounts of temporary files hidden away in a file that was a part of the Microsoft program installed on the computer (I think it was some sort of old safety feature Microsoft use to, or still does, include in their operating systems? Supposedly it stored not only the specific webpages one visited, but also all the webpages associated with a particular website? So I try to ask the computer to NOT save "temporary internet files and website files'
    Tell me how best to do that,....what boxes I should be checking, or leaving blank, in the settings box labeled 'delete browsing history'??
    Last edited by beiland; 2014-11-30 at 10:04.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It doesn't say "save passwords", it says "saved passwords"; if you want to delete them, check the box.

I've never found that deleting any of those options speeds anything up; the purpose of temporary internet files is to speed up your next visit to a page which uses those elements.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It doesn't say "save passwords", it says "saved passwords"; if you want to delete them, check the box.

I've never found that deleting any of those options speeds anything up; the purpose of temporary internet files is to speed up your next visit to a page which uses those elements.
    So basically you are suggesting that I DO NOT check any of the boxes under this 'Delete Browsing History' ??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    So basically you are suggesting that I DO NOT check any of the boxes under this 'Delete Browsing History' ??
    Yes. Don't bother using that dialog box at all for speed purposes. The only possible reasons to delete anything there are privacy or troubleshooting.

Thanks
    BruceR, I second your motion [idea]. The only good reason for deleting temporary files is to save some backup time and energy for one's external device and drive being backed up. The only performance hit could come from having too large a browser cache or too little a browser cache.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    The only performance hit could come from having too large a browser cache or too little a browser cache.
    What is that?

I googled it and came up with this explanation. So it appears that every once in awhile you might clear this cache, but don't leave the boxes 'checked' on a permenate basis....correct?

Thanks
    beiland, once in awhile, I'll go into Firefox & GChrome, checkmark & clear only cookies and cache, leaving unchecked passwords, history, forms. etc. New PCs really don't care how large FF & GChrome make their respective cache pots; only older PCs [Pentiums & earlier] "worry" about it a little.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2014-12-04)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    ...I've never found that deleting any of those options speeds anything up; the purpose of temporary internet files is to speed up your next visit to a page which uses those elements.
    Sorry Bruce, but deleting "temporary internet files" can speed up Internet access (and often does).

When I visit a typical customer who complains of poor performance (whether of Windows or Internet) the first thing I do is to install and run Windows Cleanup!

Typically Cleanup! deletes from 20.000 to 80,000 or more temp files, which usually results in a very noticeable increase in speed.

Why? Because whenever a program needs to store data in a temp file it must first ask Windows for a filename it can use. This function completes in a small instance of time, but if you multiply a small instance of time by a large number you should understand why large numbers of useless files sitting in temp folders can, and often does, slow the system down.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Sorry Bruce, but deleting "temporary internet files" can speed up Internet access (and often does).

When I visit a typical customer who complains of poor performance (whether of Windows or Internet) the first thing I do is to install and run Windows Cleanup!

Typically Cleanup! deletes from 20.000 to 80,000 or more temp files, which usually results in a very noticeable increase in speed.

Why? Because whenever a program needs to store data in a temp file it must first ask Windows for a filename it can use. This function completes in a small instance of time, but if you multiply a small instance of time by a large number you should understand why large numbers of useless files sitting in temp folders can, and often does, slow the system down.
    Very early on in my computer learning experience (2000), after a few years of using my newly purchased desktop with XP on it, I experienced a gradual slowdown it its speed of operation until it got very annoying. I took it to a tech rep at MicroCenter and one of the first checks they made was to search for temporary files stored on it. I was told I had a VERY BIG file of those, and that needed to be cleared. I asked how this had happened, and why was I not aware of it. I was told it was some sort of 'hidden file' that was part of the Micosoft program ??
    That, and the fact that I was also shown where sometimes the pages recorded where NOT only the ones I had visited, but often could include all of the pages of a particular website, even though I may have only visited a few pages of that website.

It made me aware that 'temporary files' could be a problem, and that is why I usually tried to select that 'delete temporary files upon shutting down each time'.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post

I'm with Bruce on this one. I've never seen a speedup after cleaning out temporary files unless the OS disk drive is near capacity or the browser cache is corrupted and/or there is malware present. I rarely clean up temp files on my own PCs and they all run well. YMMV

Jerry